Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This should be in the auto loan section but I just need a general opinion plz

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

This should be in the auto loan section but I just need a general opinion plz

Hi, I just need to know if this was a good deal. Plz let me know what you think. I have 5 days to return the car.
APPROVING BANK: Suntrust
BUREAU PULLED: Equifax Beacon
CREDIT SCORE: 712
CUSTOMER STATE OF RESIDENCE: Maryland
NEW/USED: Certified Used
YEAR OF VEHICLE: 2010
MAKE: Chevrolet 
MODEL: Equinox Ls
MILEAGE: 36584
RETAIL/LEASE: Retail
AMOUNT OF LOAN: 17177. The price of the car is 16,977. I was approved for the total amount of the loan including tax and fees which is 18007.56.
TERM CONTRACTED: 72
APR/LEASE RATE:3.59
MONTHLY PAYMENT:265.94
ANNUAL INCOME:
MISCELLANEOUS COMMENTARY: Ok, So I just bought this car, a few hours ago, this is my very first Auto loan and I should actually be happy but I'm actually very worried that maybe I didn't get a good deal?
I meant to just go and look I wasn't going to buy today but they kind of pressured me. At the same time, I'm relieved that I got this thing over with, I have been very stressed lately about this. I think I got a nice deal but it could've been better I'm sure. I went in with a Bank of america approval of 15000 at a rate of 3.87 (3.2 if I had bought the car with one of their dealer. This one wasn't one of them) and 257/mth for 60mths. 
I left the dealership with a loan that they ran for me for 18007.56-everything included (tax, fees,,), I paid the tax ($1300) as a downpayment and it's 17177 that's left, which includes the dealer fee of 199. The first payment is due in april. I have one month free. The car is certified by GMC so, 100,000m/5yrs for the engine and additional 1 year/12000m bumper to bumper... well, I'm not worried about the certification, my only thing is the length of the loan and the rate.  Did I get a good deal??
He's telling me that eventhough I have a good score, there isn't much in the report ( History is 4yrs and 9 months and I only have two credit card currently, 3 closed accts and 1 student loan that's been deferred). He basically called my score a "fake score" It's good but there's not much in the credit rport.  I know that my CR is very thin compared to others but for this score I thought I could get a better interest for a shorter term. He also tols me that this is a good rate for someone that's getting an auto loan for the 1st time, the average is 24% from what he told me. He also said it's more difficult to get approved for an Auto loan than a mortgage???
Did I make a good choice or should I return the car? I have 5 days/250 miles to return it. I guess the good thing is that there won't be any penalty fees if I pay it off earlier (as I intend to do anyway). The guy was nice but I was giving him a very hard time as I read a lot about how dealers will try to trick you when they see you're not knowledgeable about cars..
Thanks guys!

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
andyaycw
Frequent Contributor

Re: This should be in the auto loan section but I just need a general opinion plz

I can't comment on the deal you got, but the dealer is not telling you the truth about the credit history. Harder to qualify for a car loan than a mortgage? Give me a break. Unless you had to pony up bank statements, W2s, 1040s, pay stubs, etc. etc. and a blood sample, getting a car loan is 10x easier than a mortgage.

The fact that he called yoour score a Fake score? Give me a break, you could have just one credit card that's open for 6 months and have a true FICO. Sure, it might be a very thin file, but you would have a FICO nonetheless. You've got nearly 5 years of history with two cards. You very much have a real, true, FICO score.

Did you by chance walk into the dealer by yourself?

Given the above, I'd take anything the guy told you with a very, very big grain of salt. I'll let others comment on the deal you got and whether you should return the car, good luck.

Starting Score: EQ 773, TU 766
Current Score (2/25/2017): EX 813, EQ 823, TU 818
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: This should be in the auto loan section but I just need a general opinion plz

Agree with the above poster that this dealer was feeding you a line of bull.  Auto loans are pretty easy to get actually.  I recently got one with awful credit, and no mortage lender would ever touch me right now.  As for average interest rates being 24%, what!?!?  My (super high) interest rate is 16.5%.  I have seen them up to 20% from some others, but the average auto loans are probably 10% or lower, first time or not.  Mine is only that high because of my bad credit.

As for the cost of the car, I can't speak to that.  I would be a little worried though based on how much they pressured you and how much they lied to you about your credit situation.

Message 3 of 18
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

That is an excellent rate:

- First time buyer

- Used car

- Hardly anything down

I'm not certain why you'd feel <4% APR is a bad deal?  That's lower than a mortgage which is about the cheapest money anyone will ever get.

As for harder than a mortgage: no in the respect others have stated, in that fashion an auto-loan is probably the easiest of all loan products to obtain; however, getting a rate equivalent to what a mortgage is offered at, is a much harder challenge, especially with your history and the particular car involved... so while it wasn't a complete truth, it wasn't an outright lie either by the salesman in this case.  

If you are concerned about the overall cost of the car, go look it up on Kelly Blue Book (kbb.com): if it looks reasonable (remember CPO are more expensive and you'll need to selection that dealer sale optio), go on with life happy.

        
Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Definitely a great point regarding the interest rate, which was very good, although he had a similar rate from his bank pre approved.  Usually those kind of rates don't come except through special financing programs through the car manufacturer.  However, my credit union that I will be trying to refinance through this summer actually offers 2.49% for loans up to 60 months.  I guess my point is, you can get better interest rates through credit unions, but that is great through a dealer on a used car for sure.

Message 5 of 18
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Definitely a great point regarding the interest rate, which was very good, although he had a similar rate from his bank pre approved.  Usually those kind of rates don't come except through special financing programs through the car manufacturer.  However, my credit union that I will be trying to refinance through this summer actually offers 2.49% for loans up to 60 months.  I guess my point is, you can get better interest rates through credit unions, but that is great through a dealer on a used car for sure.

Yeah, just on a used car, I mean no offense (and my scores are lower than yours), but I don't think a CU is going to give you that rate: usually the rate they list is the best offered and there's fine print attached.  Let me know if it does though, I may see if I can open an account for when I refi in a few more months! Smiley Wink

I looked up the local So Cal price (in a moderately expensive neighborhood) on KBB for that car, and it was north of 20K.  Depending on location, I suspect the OP got at least a reasonable deal.

        
Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I thought the same thing.  However, I called to get details (and try to fish for minimum credit scores, etc) and they said the rate they offer everyone is the same.  You are either approved or not..  If you are approved, you get that rate, assuming you don't finance more than the sticker price (then they add 2% I think).  You can read all the details here, but their auto loan program is really great:

https://www.psecu.com/vehicles/?WT.ac=vehicles-subnav

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry, forgot to add that I probably would not be approved now.  However, this credit union I think uses EX.  Within 3-4 weeks, my EX and EQ files will both be squeeky clean and my scores for those two should go up nicely.  I am also paying my utilization down from 80% to 5%, which will be a huge boost to my scores.  I hope to have at least a 650 before I apply, although obviously I won't know since I can't check my EX Smiley Sad

Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks guys! This is reassuring, I don't know why but I was really freaking out on saturday when I came back home with the car. I almost didn't sleep that night (yeah it was that bad). I don't know if I was having "buyer remorse" but I definetely was Not planning on coming back home with a car that day. I was supposed to just be looking, so when I got home I really started panicking ... Especially that I did everything by myself, I was with my dad but he doesn't know much about cars or financing.
I have a friend who's a dealer , he gave me a couple of tips and i called him while i was with the dealer, he told me the price of the car "wasn't bad". I wasnt convinced.
The rate he first gave me was 4.4% then he went down to this one. Because I heard so many negatives about dealers I was on the defensive that day.
Anyway... I'm glad you guys think I got a good deal. Now I need to take the car to the mechanic just to make sur the car isn't lemon, eventhough it's certified.
Thanks a bunch!!

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks guys! This is reassuring, I don't know why but I was really freaking out on saturday when I came back home with the car. I almost didn't sleep that night (yeah it was that bad). I don't know if I was having "buyer remorse" but I definetely was Not planning on coming back home with a car that day. I was supposed to just be looking, so when I got home I really started panicking ... Especially that I did everything by myself, I was with my dad but he doesn't know much about cars or financing.
I have a friend who's a dealer , he gave me a couple of tips and i called him while i was with the dealer, he told me the price of the car "wasn't bad". I wasnt convinced.
The rate he first gave me was 4.4% then he went down to this one. So, because I heard so many negatives about dealers I was on the defensive.
Anyway... I'm glad you guys think I got a good deal. Now I need to take the car to the mechanic just to make sur the car isn't lemon, eventhough it's certified.
Thanks a bunch!!

Yeah, good work negotiating the rate down.  Dealers will often mark up the loans they finance.  Just an example, perhaps your actual interest rate was 3%, and the dealer was tacking on 1.4% for themselves.  The finance company will send them that interest every month, so there is often negotiation room on the interest rates they offer.  They are not always set in stone by the bank.

My best advice for the future, though, is to never buy the car if you don't feel  100% ready.  They will always pressure you to buy now before you leave.  99% of the time, the offer will still stand a day, or a week later, when you've had time to think it over, or shop around more.  And if it isn't, there are tons of other dealers for your business.    Also, don't be afraid to negotiate the price down, there is usually room.  Use KBB to see a suggested retail price.  Personally, I will rarely buy any car on my first trip to the dealer..

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.