cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thousands of Dollars of Repairs for Recently Purchased Vehicle and Still owe Nearly 20K on Vehicle

tag
dantana

Thousands of Dollars of Repairs for Recently Purchased Vehicle and Still owe Nearly 20K on Vehicle

I purchased a 2009 vehicle a few months back and the engine just went on it. It is going to need a complete engine replacement, which costs over $7,000.00. I am in a real spot here. I have been working real hard to get my credit back on track, which I was able to do enough to qualify for this auto-loan. I do not have the money to have this work done and I cannot afford to be making payments on a vehicle that does not run, it leaves me with no way of getting to work.

I have enough money where I can purchase a vehicle for a few thousand, so I would at least have a means to get to work but not enough to cover the total engine replacement. The last thing that I want to do is a voluntary repossession because my crredit is going to go down the drain after working so long and so hard to rebuild it but I do not see what options I have here.

I am hoping that some of you could offer me some guidance in other alternatives such as if you would know it's possible to work with your finance company where they may even loan the money for the repairs and consolidate it with your car loan. I want to try to get some guidance and education before I just jump blindly on the phone and start asking them questions like this. If you can offer me any assistance or advice, I would appreiciate it. Thanks.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

Re: Thousands of Dollars of Repairs for Recently Purchased Vehicle and Still owe Nearly 20K on Vehic

i would suggest looking at a used motor to put into the car. generally i have paid around 400 for used motors and another 500-1000 to have it installed, it just depends on the car

Message 2 of 8
Remember0
Valued Contributor

Re: Thousands of Dollars of Repairs for Recently Purchased Vehicle and Still owe Nearly 20K on Vehic

I haven't heard of a finance company doing something like lending for repairs + rolling it in.

What sort of car is this and where did you buy it from? If it's a 2009, there's a small chance that maybe it's still covered under a powertrain warranty? Some states mandate warranties with used car sales under some miles and years, how many miles did it have at purchase and what state did you buy from?

Message 3 of 8
dantana

It's a 2009 Saturn Outlook and it's going to cost way more than 1k to fix it. The thing that I am learning is that GMC only makes the same engine for a few years. With this vehicle, it has to be the same type of engine, which would mean that it would need to come from an Acadia or Outlook, so the engines are not easily found. The cheapest that I have been able to find was around $4200.00.

The vehicle only had around 80k on it and if it's coverend by some sort've mandated warranty, I would be jumping for joy.Smiley LOL

Message 4 of 8
Remember0
Valued Contributor

What state did you buy it in?

It's covered by a 5 yr/100k powertrain warranty by GM. You'll have to look up when the vehicle was first bought to see if it's under 5 years. Carfax could do it, or if you called any GM dealer they could probably tell you. Heck even GM corporate could tell you.

Even if the warranty has lapsed, try emailing GM Corporate. Email the execs/tweet to their cust service/post on their facebook about it. If the warranty has lapsed, odds are the lapse is by just a few months. It's not normal for a engine to die so early. A lot of manuafcturers will goodwill the repair (or at least part of it). The fact that GM's been in the news for bad things (the ignition key recall) may help...If exec support does nothing, maybe even consider filing a NHTSA complaint. The NHTSA complaint probably won't yield any results, but it will get GM to pay attention.

EDIT: Another area to look into is the dealership you bought it from. Have you tried getting them to goodwill cover it? Some dealerships like carmax have a 12 month warranty, but even if they don't they might cover if pressed enough. I'd email the used car manager, the general manager and owner, and even look into BBB + online review complaints. At worst, they all refuse to help you. At best, they help cover a part of the cost. It is NOT normal for an engine to abruptly fail like this unless abused (like no oil, etc...). There might have been signs something was wrong usually months before...

Message 5 of 8
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

hoping the mods allow this link to stay in considering the circumstances but for around 2000 @ http://www.automotix.net/usedengines/2009-saturn-outlook-inventory.html you can purchase a used motor for this vehicle. again the cost to replace the motor can vary greatly bewteen shope so call around! i found this in a matter of moments on google. upon calling local salvage yards i was able to find one for around 550. if you are being told 7000 and are not shopping that quote around then its your money and waste it how you choose. if you wish to save money pick up the phone and start calling!

Message 6 of 8
coterotie
Established Contributor

I will also say, that a complete engine replacement is necessary relatively rarely.  I'm assuming it has something catastrophic like a badly cracked block or something like that. THis is the type of catastrophic stuff usually covered under warranty.

Your 5yr/100K warranty covers:

"Engine Coverage includes: All internally lubricated parts, the entire pressurized fuel system (in-tank fuel pump, pressure lines, fuel rail(s), regulator, injectors and return line). Also included are all actuators and electrical components internal to the engine (i.e.: Active Fuel Management Valve Lifter Oil Manifold, etc.) as well as the Engine/Powertrain Control Module, module programming, cylinder head, block, timing gears, timing chain, timing cover, oil pump/oil pump housing, OHC carriers, valve covers, oil pan, seals, gaskets, manifolds, flywheel, water pump, harmonic balancer, engine mount, starter motor, turbocharger and supercharger."

Only electrical stuff is excluded. Take it to the local Chevy/GM dealer.  If no satisfaction I would make an immediate appointment with the GM zone manager to meet you at the local stealership.

Message 7 of 8
dantana

Thanks guys. I ended up working with the dealer and they've been very helpful. I'm taking it to the dealer where hopefully it will be covered.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.