Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To lease or not to lease?

tag
meeklo062704
New Contributor

Re: To lease or not to lease?

Thanks. I'm definitely looking forward to it. Performs like a Porsche for a fraction of the price, cheap to insure because it's a 4 door, and safer than my Honda. It's a good deal to me.
Message 11 of 15
dabrian
Frequent Contributor

NFCU Sig Cash-20k/ Amex BCP-19.4k/ Amex Costco-1.2k/Chase Marriott-12k/CSP-13.4k/ Freedom-5.5k/ Discover IT-14k/NCSECU-5k/Walmart-10k/Lowes-25k
Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!  Always good to pay the least amount for insurance.  Another trick my home owner's insurance broker taught me:  If you can afford to, bump up the quality of your insurance a little at a time and before long, you will have the best auto insurance with the lowest premiums.(also the smallest deductibles)  We did this over a 2 1/2 yr period & when we wanted the X3 & leased because of the much smaller payment, it really didn't affect our insurance payments.  

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@meeklo062704 wrote:

I'm getting ready to buy another car in the next few months. The car I'm looking at will be $25,000-$30,000. My fako is in the 630-645 range according to the free score sites over the last few months. It will be going up as my wife and I have acquired a couple credit cards each, then added each other as authorized users, and I'll be paying off my medical connections within the next 6 months. My plan was to get the car on a long term contract for the lower payment, then refi after 12-18 months when my score is in a more desirable range.

I've been seeing some great lease deals lately, with really low payments. Most are sceptical about leases, but I plan on having the car for a long time, so buying it up at the end will be an easy decision. So it gives me exactly what I wanted. Very low payment, with better credit when the time to buy comes, but in a brand new car instead of used.

Does this seem to be sound logic? My only concern at this point is qualification. I'm hoping auto enhanced will help as I paid off a car in August with 36 never late payments. Also I have 3 years on a job that gives a free apartment, so my debt to income is pretty good. How tight are dealers with leases on new cars?

So you are getting a new EVO for $25000-$30000 dollars?  According to Edmunds the base model with no options stickers over $35000, and the TMV is $35000, with an invoice over $33000.  While the car may well hold it's value better than most, usually in the short term (2-3 years) you are still stuck with a ton of depreciation.  The Pontiac G8's are a good example of this for a recent enthusiast car that was discontinued.  After 5 years they have held their value very well, but they certainly don't go for anywhere near what they originally cost.  Be sure you get an actual insurance quote with a real VIN number before you start banking on cheap insurance costs as well. Be sure you go into this purchase very well informed and with a realistic picture of purchase costs, insurance costs and depreciation.

Message 14 of 15
meeklo062704
New Contributor

No, the used ones I've been looking at are in the 25k-30k range. The only reason I didn't want to get a new one originally was not wanting to get saddled with a $600-$700 payment. I could do a payment that high, but if/when maintenance costs run high, or during financial hardship I would be forced to make a decision that has repercussions.
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.