cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toyota Financial auto loan refinance or options?

tag
newhorizon
Established Member

Toyota Financial auto loan refinance or options?

Hello,

So my story is...

Back in 2009, My wife and I had a Town and country that kept on breaking down. We owed close to $9000 on it and decided to go with a "newer" car. We went back to the Toyota dealer to find out what could be done.  Back then we had no idea on APR rates and so forth. They ran my credit and it was really bad, judgment, liens etc.. They ran my wife's credit and was able to obtain a loan with Toyota finanical. They offered her an APR of 24% on a 2004 Sienna and $5000 down. We were desperate so decided to take it. I have been paying $580 a month since December 2009. We still have 20 months left on the loan. Now the car has been acting up and I have been spending more money fixing it. Seems like I fix something, something else breaks.

I have been working on my credit and have been able to clear it up for the most part (still have 3 paid state tax liens). No lates and a history of 6 months. Credit karma has a score of 679. 3 months ago, I was able to secure a loan at my local credit union at 6.9% for our second car (We needed it as I switched jobs and have to travel farther). We recently went to the dealer where we purchased the second car to try to trade in the toyota but they only wanted to give us $1500 for it.. Ouchhhhhh....

We keep making payments on theToyota and are current. I guess my question is has anyone had a similar situation? I have asked about refinancing but it seems that because it's a 2004 with 90,000 miles nobody will refinance. The dealer suggested that my wife does a volutantary repo. We really dont want her credit to mess up so we decided not to. I will continue to pay it until I find a better solution.

I hope what I wrote makes sense....

Any advice would great.

Thanks!!!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

Re: Toyota Financial auto loan refinance or options?

You are absolutely correct not to allow the repossession. That is horrible advice that would drag on your wife's credit for the next seven years. It's not easy to drag yourself out of a bad situation like this. It sounds like you carried negative equity from the original vehicle into this one and with the horrible interest rate have been buried by it since. The good news is that you should be starting to see the most of your payments going to principal now instead of interest. Twenty months is a long time but it is not forever.

Before you do the same thing to yourself again you need to decide if it would not be better to just continue with whatever repairs are necessary on this vehicle to get to the end point (and hopefully beyond that). Is it possible to minimize the use you put on the Sienna and use your car most of the time? Are you able to start putting some money in the bank toward a future down payment on a replacement vehicle? If you have to get rid of the Sienna can you sell it to a private party and cover the balance due to get clear title for transfer? You will almost always get more if you sell it yourself. And remember all parts of a car deal are negotiable including the trade in value.

If you rush into another car deal and carry more negative equity you are just setting yourself up for more of the same, especially if your credit scores are poor and you end up with high interest financing again. To rebuild credit just read a lot of the experience and advice in these forums and follow it. You will put yourself and your family in a much better place if you can just hang in there and improve your credit situation and negative equity situation before your next purchase.

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 5
newhorizon
Established Member

Thanks for your advice. I really appreciate it. I will stick with paying the car down until I can sell it.

We are looking to get our first home late next year so I really dont want my wife's credit damaged.... We have managed dealing with the car the last 4 months, we can definetly deal with a few more months (until we can sell)

Thanks again!!!

Message 3 of 5
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

It's always easier to deal with the situation when you have a longer term (and bigger) goal in mind. Good luck.Smiley Happy

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.