Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trade or sell

tag
6speed8
Regular Contributor

Re: Trade or sell

All of the above.

- If immediate cash is the priority then sell privately.

- If you can do without the $500+ to go towards a newer car, donate it and take full book value as a tax break.

No dealer will ever give you top dollar no matter the age. Recent example:

A close friend was settling her mom's estate. She asked me if I was interested in mom's car. 2010 Honda Civic EX sedan with 27,000 miles. I didn't buy it for two reasons. 1 - I wasn't ready to buy yet. That will heppen in July or later. 2 - Civics and Accords are always in the Top 10 Stolen Cars. She sold it to CarMax. They gave her $9700 for it. Search around at retail prices, that car is being sold for $15,500.

CH 7 Discharged 6/10/15
T/U - 643
EQ - 588
Ex - 647 as of 6/14/15
Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Chris679 wrote:
Donate it and claim $2000 for the value, problem solved.

How can I claim 2K when Blue Book value maxes out at  a litle over 1K? I don't need the $500 for the down payment, I just want to get rid of it as fuss free as possible. Donating to chairty is not an issue if I can do so.

Message 12 of 18
Chris679
Established Contributor

I guess you can't
Message 13 of 18
C7LT1
New Contributor

A $1000 car should sell fast on Craigslist. Even though its cheap spend a little time cleaning and detailing the car. It will help the car sell but don't spend more that $20 on cleaning supplies.  

In the garden until June 2018

Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I like the idea of donating to charity. Just to be clear, it  I donate I can legally claim 1K? I plan to clean the car up regardless of who gets it, but a charitable donation is appealing to me.

Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Depending on your individual tax situation donating may not be of any tax advantage at all.  I wouldnt donate unless you talk to a tax professional about it.  Personally I would list it for 800 or 850 and take 700. Take that 700 and use it for the down payment on the new car.

Message 16 of 18
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

Depending on your individual tax situation donating may not be of any tax advantage at all.  I wouldnt donate unless you talk to a tax professional about it.  Personally I would list it for 800 or 850 and take 700. Take that 700 and use it for the down payment on the new car.

^^Agree 100%.  

If you get $700 and put it down along with whatever you were going to put down then you also spend less monthly and less total interest over the term. It's not a lot, but the money in your pocket is better than in the dealers pocket.  

The important part is you can have a more transparent negotiation on the purchase without the trade and usually can negotiate a better deal for yourself that way. JMO

Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks guys, this is all good food for thought. I've never used Craigslist so I'm a little leery of them. At this point the only thing I am certain of is I don't plan to use this as a trade. 

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.