Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble with car dealer

tag
SMikulski49
Regular Contributor

Trouble with car dealer

I have a question for you guys. To keep the story short, my fiancee and I went into a subaru dealer to purchase a car. My buddy is a manager at a different dealer and he called the people he know and they gave us a good price on a new 2015 subaru. We went there September 5th, we put a deposit down, they checked her history and told us they will have a shipment coming in two weeks and he will call us when they get it. We specificly told him what color we wanted and that we were not interested in a different color which they had available. 

Well two weeks later comes along, and we get a call from the dealer saying he is unable to get the car in the color we wanted. He said it will be hard or impossible to get it as they don't even make the 2015 suabaru impreza anymore (thats what his said). We told him hey, you said you will have the car we wanted, you told us it was on the next shipment and now you tell us you don't have it and won't be able to get it? We put down $500 and they already ran her credit history he told her don't worry you have a great credit. But now if they will not have the car or won't be able to get it, we are stuck going to a different dealer and picking up a different car and someone will need to run her credit report again. The dealer told us he will try one more thing and get back to us tomorrow. 

Do you guys have any ideas how to deal with something like that? Can they somehow take that inquiry away if they won't have the car for us? How should we talk to them and how should we handle this to make them pay for this and how we are being treated?

Thanks for any advice in advance Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Trouble with car dealer

If it was just 1 inquiry, it's not important enough to worry about. credit card lenders don't care about auto inquiries, and vice versa. You can feel free to go to another dealer if they have the vehicle you want if he can't get you the car. 

Message 2 of 5
SMikulski49
Regular Contributor

We will be looking to get a house next year, we do not want to have 2 hard inquaries if we end up going to a different car dealer and they run the credit again. Is there a way they can remove it or can we challange this with the credit bureau to have it removed?

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I doubt you will be able to dispute it. Unfortunately this happens all the time because the dealers aren't kept current on when exactly they will be getting new model year vehicles. For instance in May 2014 I wanted a 2014 Subaru WRX and I wasn't not able to get one, I ended up with the 2015.

Currently right now production is low on 2015s as Subaru is working on all 2016s, for instance the 2016 Subaru WRX is already on lots.

You may try and give Chase a call as that's who handles there in house financing for Subaru financial and explain the situation, maybe they will be able to have it removed if it bothers you that much. Also, from what I've seen in here a new HP actually only affects your reports for a year.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you only have 2 INQs, that is a very small amount and not significant at all.  Assuming the INQs are coded as 'auto loan', they will be lumped together for Fico scoring purposes if they are all within 30 days.  Within a year, they will have a small effect on your scores and within 2, will drop off.

I try to avoid letting a dealer take a whack at my CRs by arranging credit in advance, like at a CU or a bank I have a relationship with.  Unless the approval I have is at a high rate, I would not even let them try to beat it.  To me, its better to have it resolved in advance than to try to shave a small amount of interest.

If you are really unhappy with the dealer, get your deposit back and shop elsewhere.   All of the cars are built in the same factory so the difference is in the dealer experience.

Dont know if you have tried using the online site at subaru and looking at other dealer's inventory or not.  I was able to see 6 dealers with one of them at 96 miles from me.  You might be able to spot one you like that way.  Just a suggestion.

HTH

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.