Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

True Car Pricing

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

True Car Pricing

How far below should I offer from true Car pricing? Interested in a 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage ES CVT. Around 11k on true car including 3k rebate;  rebate is down from 3500.. Last year I used true car and paid the true car price from the lowest dealer in my area; didnt try to go below that since they were almost 4K lower then the next lowest dealer in my area. My last purchase was a Dodge Journey; trying to complete my goal of owning 2 cars on the list of 10 worst from Consumer Reports!!! Worst family SUV and subcompact respectively.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: True Car Pricing

True Car pricing is already a set amount below invoice. (The dealer chooses the amount they set when they sign on with True Car). It seems that you are already getting a pretty discounted price.  If they are a good 4k lower than any other dealer in your area, why would you try to go lower?  

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed...if the deal says 'great' price, it normally is ...

I bought my car 3 months ago and I still check, and I still can't match the deal I got again.

When you see a great deal, it just might be that ...a great deal....good luck shopping!

Message 3 of 13
RonM21
Valued Contributor

OP the "good price" probably is that, so I'd roll with it! Good luck.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 4 of 13
surferchris
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the info - I was just on their website...now I understand how it works.

Current Cards:
AmEx Hilton Honors Surpass//AmEx Platinum Card//Ann Taylor Rewards Mastercard//Capital One Platinum Card//Credit One AmEx//Credit One Platinum VISA//Fingerhut//Navy More Rewards AmEx//TruWest Platinum VISA//Aspire VISA//Costco Anywhere VISA//Lowes Advantage//Apple Card
Loans:
1 Mortgage/////Navy FCU Auto Loan (2020 Jaguar I-Pace)//Capital One Auto (2016 BMW i3)
Next Cards (4th QTR 2022):
Navy Flagship Rewards VISA//Chase Sapphire Preferred
Stats:
Scores: 700's // Inq's: 1 for mortgage // Util: 1% // AoOA: 21 yrs

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would not take TrueCar prices to be absolute.

I bough a 16 Accord Sport Black. The true car pricing today and when I got it was if <22,921 = exceptional. I got the car for 21,250 + TTL which made the total OTD as 232xx almost. From what I understand Truecar does not include the state tax and dealer fee in their total.. 

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

True car doesn't include tax,license and doc fees. A good price would be 500-1000 below what true car sent u OTD. Most vehicle u should be able to buy it below MSRP OTD

Message 7 of 13
jim44
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I would not take TrueCar prices to be absolute.

I bough a 16 Accord Sport Black. The true car pricing today and when I got it was if <22,921 = exceptional. I got the car for 21,250 + TTL which made the total OTD as 232xx almost. From what I understand Truecar does not include the state tax and dealer fee in their total.. 

This is true. I know TrueCar pricing included rebates or incentives that some buyers wouldn't qualify for. When they visited the dealership, the price of the car they wanted was higher.  True Car lost their original CEO and hired an ex-exec from AutoTrader. They had at least one or two major dealers cut their business ties with them partially because of their pricing. Since then one of the dealers that quit them have signed back on.  IMHO most people can negotiate with a dealer without the help of TrueCar and the rest of these "middle men".  However if they work for you.. then go for it! 

Message 8 of 13
Appleman
Valued Contributor

Anymore the first question should be what is the dealer fee that will be added at the end. Put the dealer on notice that you know about the dealer fee.

It sucks when you spend hours negotiating and they add on a $599 fee to the deal you just made. Locally the fees run $249 to $599 and have heard that a few markets have been even higher.  It is true that the dealer must charge the same 'Fee' to every person but use that in your negotiations., they don't have to sell the car to everyone for the same price.

Some people say that these are the numbers I need to hit OTD (out the door). Let them know this will include car, taxes and all fees.

Good luck

Message 9 of 13
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

Offer a few hundred under TrueCar. Use a fake name and email to get the Truecar quote.. then bring it in with you... 

NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.