cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Truth or Lies Auto Dealer financing

tag
MYFYI

Truth or Lies Auto Dealer financing

So here goes, after deciding on the car I wanted to purchase and after reading through the forums here I decided to go to my local credit union and apply for a loan through them where I got a great interest rate so when I went to the dealer I would already have my financing in place. Went to the dealer to purchase the car and after negotiating price I told them I already had financing through my credit union, they asked if they could match or try to beat that rate. I felt that it would only benefit me but then they told me if I decided to go with my credit union financing that I wouldn't get the car for at least a week as that how it works with outside financing. That they just don't get a check from my credit union and then let me purchase the car, that it takes a while for all the paperwork to go through. Is this the Truth? or was this just there way of wanting me to finace through them

grow seedlings grow
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Truth or Lies Auto Dealer financing

@MYFYI wrote:

So here goes, after deciding on the car I wanted to purchase and after reading through the forums here I decided to go to my local credit union and apply for a loan through them where I got a great interest rate so when I went to the dealer I would already have my financing in place. Went to the dealer to purchase the car and after negotiating price I told them I already had financing through my credit union, they asked if they could match or try to beat that rate. I felt that it would only benefit me but then they told me if I decided to go with my credit union financing that I wouldn't get the car for at least a week as that how it works with outside financing. That they just don't get a check from my credit union and then let me purchase the car, that it takes a while for all the paperwork to go through. Is this the Truth? or was this just there way of wanting me to finace through them

LIES LIES LIES... that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard... when they finance at the dealership they don't have the money either!! the credit union would be the same way, the credit union would either fax them a letter of finance or you would have it already, the dealership would then send the final documents to the credit union for exact dollar amount and the credit union would issue check.

I mean I guess if they really want to hold the car but that just seems silly, usually the issue is reverse that dealers want you to drive off dealership WITHOUT financing set up and then changing rate or something to get you approved but now you have the car so you just do it... not letting you take the car because you won't finance through them but use your CU is something new I haven't heard before!

you have another dealership that sells same car?

Message 2 of 6
MYFYI

YEA I thought it sounded like BS to me, didnt matter though as I told Delaership that I was getting 1.49 % from my credit union although they really offered me 1.97%. Dealer said that they couldn't beat that but if I went with them they would take an aditional $1K off and my rate would be 1.97% so in the long run I saved 1K off with the same rate but I seriously thought about walking out before there offer as I had a feeling that it was BS.

grow seedlings grow
Message 3 of 6
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Nice!
Message 4 of 6
Remember0
Valued Contributor

If you really want to screw the dealer, consider asking your CU if they'd refi the loan you just got on that approval. Most CUs would probably have noissues with that. If you refi the dealer loan before 2-3 payments, any commission they were hoping to collect from the loan (why they took 1k off the price) will be reversed haha. Just don't tell the dealer about this...only contact the finance company they financed you with and your local cu.

Message 5 of 6
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

That's funny and very true!!
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.