Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two Auto Insurance Policies

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Two Auto Insurance Policies

Hi everyone,

So my partner and I are looking to get a house soon. I will not be on the mortgage but she will. She has a car loan on her 2015 Beetle. Our realtor suggested that she transfer her loan under my name so that she can qualify for more mortgage.

The thing is, I am on my dad's insurance. (I am 22)

If I transfer under my name, I will need to get auto insurance also. I am insured on my dad's policy for my 2002 avalon. And i plan to get a whole other auto insurance for 2015 beetle. My question is will my dad's insurance company find out about this anyhow?

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Two Auto Insurance Policies

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi everyone,

So my partner and I are looking to get a house soon. I will not be on the mortgage but she will. She has a car loan on her 2015 Beetle. Our realtor suggested that she transfer her loan under my name so that she can qualify for more mortgage.

The thing is, I am on my dad's insurance. (I am 22)

If I transfer under my name, I will need to get auto insurance also. I am insured on my dad's policy for my 2002 avalon. And i plan to get a whole other auto insurance for 2015 beetle. My question is will my dad's insurance company find out about this anyhow?

You don't really want to mess around with insurance companies because while they may not find out about it right away when you go to file a big claim they will take a close look at everything.  We had a car stolen, it was a third car and Allstate conducted a very intrustive investigation into our personal business to insure that we did not commit fraud, it was clear they were looking for a reason to not pay the claim.  The other factor is that the lender who has the iien on your partners car will require proof of insurance or if it goes under your name the same will be applicable so what you would need to do is determine if you can get qualified to buy her car and then buy an auto insurance policy on both cars.  I assume she needs the loan off of her credit for debt to income reasons?  If you go this route I suggest working with one of the credit unions for the best rates on car loans, DCU, Penfed or NFCU are the favorites here.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I work for one of the big4 auto insurance companies. We do have software that tells us all cars registered to any owner or address and all insurance policies in force. You can purchase a policy with your partner for the vw beetle assuming you don't live in the same address as your dad. Since the avalon is under his name the insurance company pays the owner in the event of an accident so either way if something happens he is the owner and he just gave you permission to drive the car.

There is no issue with being on two policies though. The insurance follows the car so primary insurance will always be whichever company has the car insured
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you guys for helping. Turns out, she got qualified without having to transfer that loan!! Makes everything so much simpler.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great outcome, congrats to the both of you.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.