cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATE: TU 673........... What do you think I can get?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

UPDATE: TU 673........... What do you think I can get?

I pulled my score today from Equifax: 603...  but it is not reporting that that my credit card is paid in full.  It's showing a 2176 balance on a 2250 limit card.  This is paid off though.  I don't have much of a history, recent student loans, a closed Discover card ( closed by creditor for late payments but not collections) and some old cards my parents had me on.  I recently got an HSBC card to reestablish myself.

I'm trying to get an auto loan now that I've graduated college and have started a career.  Discover is the only thing that reflects poorly.  My last year of college I was so broke I coulnd't make the payments for about six months.  So i have some 120+ marks.

What can I do to get my score up a little bit more? and what kind of loan do you think I can get?

UPDATE:  I just pulled my TU scores and its at 673...does this change anything?

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What do you think I can get?

@Anonymous wrote:

I pulled my score today from Equifax: 603...  but it is not reporting that that my credit card is paid in full.  It's showing a 2176 balance on a 2250 limit card.  This is paid off though.  I don't have much of a history, recent student loans, a closed Discover card ( closed by creditor for late payments but not collections) and some old cards my parents had me on.  I recently got an HSBC card to reestablish myself.

I'm trying to get an auto loan now that I've graduated college and have started a career.  Discover is the only thing that reflects poorly.  My last year of college I was so broke I coulnd't make the payments for about six months.  So i have some 120+ marks.

What can I do to get my score up a little bit more? and what kind of loan do you think I can get?

You will need a downpayment and probably a co signer.

if you do not have a co signer you need to wait until you are about 1 year on your new job, and be ready to put at least 20% of the transaction down, you will want to work with a dealership to see if you can get into a first time buyers program. on something new and small like a Fiesta or Focus.

Most recent college grads still require a co signer if they have good credit, In truth negative information kinda kills when your file is thin. You may be better served waiting that year to also let your bad marks age more.

Message 2 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

A co- signer is definately out of the question.  I have been at my new job since May of last year...so I'm almost at a year now.  I'm more than willing to put 10% to 15% down towards it. 

My history isn't too thin, just that I've only had a few cards, but my oldest is about 4.7 years...but its the discover.  No auto loans though.  Everything else in my CR is perfect. No lates or missed, no high utils, or anything like that. 

Once this card is reporting as paid up, I think my score shoud jump up right?  What score do you think I need to get a loan of about 22K?  With a reasonabe rate....

Message 3 of 24
cdtotten
Established Contributor

As USMC mentioned, you are going to have some trouble getting a solid loan without a cosigner. 120+ day lates on a thin credit file (yes, you have a 5 year history, but thin also means not that many trade lines) is never a good thing. It is a major derogotory item, almost the same score impact as if it were charged off. The effect will lesson over time, but it will take the full 7 years to get those points back.

You may see a nice jump from getting that card paid off (i.e. 25-30 points potentially), but auto loans have a lot more factors to consider then your score. Major derogs in a short history are just going to turn lenders off. I don't see you obtaining a loan that large without a cosigner unless your score jumps dramatically, you put 25+% down and your interest rate is through the roof.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh man...that's not the news I was hoping for.

Is there anything you guys can think of that I can do to try and make it happen?  I've tried asking for a good will gesture from Discover, but everytime I ask they say "we can't do it".  I'm not some deadbeat that doesn't pay my bills... and I know that doesn't mean jack to a lender....but I really hate that one hardship can do so much damage.

It seems though, that many of the approvals listed in this forum are for much worse situations... yet I see approvals for 30k with an 8% rate and a 560 score.  I don't understand it.

When do you think I would be able to get the loan at reasonable rate, if I continue with a good record?

Message 5 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Oh man...that's not the news I was hoping for.

Is there anything you guys can think of that I can do to try and make it happen?  I've tried asking for a good will gesture from Discover, but everytime I ask they say "we can't do it".  I'm not some deadbeat that doesn't pay my bills... and I know that doesn't mean jack to a lender....but I really hate that one hardship can do so much damage.

It seems though, that many of the approvals listed in this forum are for much worse situations... yet I see approvals for 30k with an 8% rate and a 560 score.  I don't understand it.

When do you think I would be able to get the loan at reasonable rate, if I continue with a good record?

Cars are not credit cards. There is much more to the transaction then a score.

You have never listed your income or post college career.

We can only give advice based on the information you give.

many of the instances you see on these boards where people got bought with bad scores, there was many other substantial factors going for them: like time on job, good DTI, sizable down payment, homeowners, had an existing or past good relationship with lender, showed no bad auto history even if they had a few bads on their card histories.

At the same time people post to these boards their experiences, it can easily not be the whole story.

- and there could also be a back story we do not know- maybe the dealer pulled strings to get them bought.

I am sorry to give you the bad news, but unless you have a substantial income and a great DTi and are able to come with a good 20%+ down, you need to be ready for a denial. Now you can luck out, but we really do not know.

ETA:

If you have a familial relation in the military see if you can get sponsored into Navy Federal Credit Union.

Consider joining a local credit union and working with them.

Message 6 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not exactly sure how the DTI is calculated, but here is all the info I can think of. 

Income: $37,440 / year

Only Debt is about 16k in student loans, payments being about $120/month

Phone bill is about $80 / month

Rent is $400 / month.

No past auto loans or history....but I'm only 22 years old...so I think that is a common thing.

My last job I was with for over 3 years.

My major was Economics in College, graduated with a Bachelors of Bus. Admin, and now work as a project manager for a major healthcare organization.

I've been working here almost a year.

Hopefully that is all the info anyone needs to tell me how I can make this thing happen. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone in the military.  But I am giong to try and get in with our credit union once I hit one year on the job.

And again, thanks for all the help...I'm really impressed by this forum's wilingness to help people out.

Message 7 of 24
mochi123

Unions also have really good lending options, but then again, you would be looking for a co-signer, like a teacher.

Some buisnesses have ties with large banks, that offer special lending options to employees. That would be something to consider when your credit score improves a bit. I used to work at Best Buy and they offered special home mortage programs for homes near the main campus. Just try to hold off until a year and a half at your current job before getting another car.

I buy parts from Rock Auto.com and they're really good and cheap.

Message 8 of 24
FicoGuy2019
Established Contributor

Definitely try a CU.  I just went from 23% to 6.75% with my local CU within 30 days of buying my car and didn't even make the first payment yet.  CU's are great!!  Score was 605 last month and then jumped to 643 this month so I applied at my CU and approved.

Message 9 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm not exactly sure how the DTI is calculated, but here is all the info I can think of. 

Income: $37,440 / year

Only Debt is about 16k in student loans, payments being about $120/month

Phone bill is about $80 / month

Rent is $400 / month.

No past auto loans or history....but I'm only 22 years old...so I think that is a common thing.

My last job I was with for over 3 years.

My major was Economics in College, graduated with a Bachelors of Bus. Admin, and now work as a project manager for a major healthcare organization.

I've been working here almost a year.

Hopefully that is all the info anyone needs to tell me how I can make this thing happen. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone in the military.  But I am giong to try and get in with our credit union once I hit one year on the job.

And again, thanks for all the help...I'm really impressed by this forum's wilingness to help people out.

Get into a credit union Now, that way you can build a relationship for when you do try to buy the car. Set up a direct deposit, be it you full pay or a set amount and go from there.

For someone who is clearing close to $2,500 a month I am sorry but I think you should easily be able to come up with 4-5K to get financed at a dealership.

I understand that you may only want to put 10% down, but you need to accept that things are what they are.

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.