Senior Contributor

USAA: Is 3.99% Good?

I've been getting pre-approvals from USAA for what seems like forever at 5.49% which doesn't seem so terrible.  Still, I have been seeing PenFed and even Navyfed with what I believe was about 2%.  Now just this month my pre-approval with USAA dropped to 3.99%

Is 3.99% ok? 

Although NavyFed and others offer 2%, do people with a FICO of, say, 740 really end up getting that 2% or do they get hit with the bait and switch?

IAALBNYL
New Contributor

Re: USAA: Is 3.99% Good?

O6 wrote:

I've been getting pre-approvals from USAA for what seems like forever at 5.49% which doesn't seem so terrible.  Still, I have been seeing PenFed and even Navyfed with what I believe was about 2%.  Now just this month my pre-approval with USAA dropped to 3.99%

Is 3.99% ok? 

Although NavyFed and others offer 2%, do people with a FICO of, say, 740 really end up getting that 2% or do they get hit with the bait and switch?

In my long experience with PenFed, they don't do "bait and switch".  A customer either qualifies or doesn't.  Times have changed, so they may offer higher interest rates for any perceived risk.  I've never seen them engage that way.  As you probably know, they pull EQ. 

3.99% is very good.  1.99% or 2.99% is better.

Senior Contributor

CrdtLrnr wrote:

O6 wrote:

Is 3.99% ok? 

In my long experience with PenFed, they don't do "bait and switch".  A customer either qualifies or doesn't.  Times have changed, so they may offer higher interest rates for any perceived risk.  I've never seen them engage that way.  As you probably know, they pull EQ. 

3.99% is very good.  1.99% or 2.99% is better.

Maybe I shouldn't have used the term bait & switch.  On the PenFed website I think it says auto loans at 1.99%, but I wonder if that means everybody who is approved gets 1.99% or if it means rates as low as 1.99%.

IAALBNYL
Super Contributor

RBFCU is also based in San Antonio and they are also in the 3% range so it think that it is a good deal.

Something to keep in mind that some CU's base their interest rate on your history with them as well as your credit so if you wanted say a mortgage with them down the road, it may make sense to take the loan even if you could get a slightly better rate with say the dealer.

11/28/2014 FICO: EQ: 796 EX:788 TU:803
Senior Contributor

marty56 wrote:

RBFCU is also based in San Antonio and they are also in the 3% range so it think that it is a good deal.

Something to keep in mind that some CU's base their interest rate on your history with them as well as your credit so if you wanted say a mortgage with them down the road, it may make sense to take the loan even if you could get a slightly better rate with say the dealer.

Thank you!  That's definitely a point to consider. 

IAALBNYL
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.