Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA Loans (Applying this week!)

tag
kskajohnson
Established Member

USAA Loans (Applying this week!)

I know there has been plenty of USAA financing discussion here over the course of my time on these boards but I just wanted to ask a few quick questions in regards to auto financing through them.  Just a note that I am a full USAA member (military service). 

I am looking at purchasing a new 2014 Dodge Dart (After TTL fees, it should be around $20-21K off the lot). 

I want to attempt to apply through USAA prior to even dealing with a financing option at the dealership itself and I was just wondering how exactly this works.

I understand that I fill out the application online but I have questions as to my approval and options which are:

•  I would ideally not want to put anything down, do I have the option to apply with nothing down and then come back afterwards if I was to be denied and apply again with cash down?

• Can I use my spouses income on the app although her SSN will not be on the application? 

I ask this because if it wants to know what our mortgage and such is, it won’t match up well on my income alone.

•  How likely am I to be approved?  As I mentioned, I was going to just apply for 25K and not use it all but just have the extra in case of something coming up and not having to scramble at the dealership.  

• My EQ Fico is 691 (TU: 706, EX: 677 as of today) and I’ve had no negative hits on my credit (no checks outside of my mortgage app last year) and no accounts in collections or charge off status in over 3+ years.   I have about $10,000 in revolving credit with about a 10% usage balance.

•  What score does USAA look at?  How about Dodge/Chrysler should I seek in house financing?

I’m looking to apply on USAA on Wednesday evening and purchasing on Friday so ANY assistance with USAA apps would be more than appreciated.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Remember0
Valued Contributor

Re: USAA Loans (Applying this week!)

First off, you're all over the place haha with these threads.

• I'm not sure how the down payment works, it's a lender by lender thing. Maybe someone with experience can chime in. And if denied, you might be able to do a phone recon. I'd submit with 0 down payment if I were you. A 691 is a decent score and you should qualify for <4% rates.
  • Re the income: unless a application specifically says only include your own, spouse excluded, put in the total income...don't worry so much.
  • You'll be approved. The thing is APR. At a CU like DCU, 675+ EQ FICO qualifies for 1.99% for 65 months. At USAA, I don't know. But at the dealership, you should easily qualify for Dodge's 0% with Chrysler Capital for 60 months promo...if you don't get 0% when the dealer tries to beat your rate, come back here.
  • USAA looks at probably FICO (not sure). Dodge definitely looks at auto enhanced FICO. From your other thread, your prior auto loan doesn't report any baddies, so all they see is perfect auto loan history. Don't mention anything about there being a adverse history. You should definitely apply for Dodge's 0% promo for 60 months on the Dart (say you want the 0% promo at the dealership)...you should qualify for it.
  • Actually I see that the Dart has $500-$1500 cash incentive OR 0% though Chrysler. You'll have to see which is better for you: 0% or paying USAA and taking the 500-1500 incentive.
Message 2 of 10
kskajohnson
Established Member

You've helped me out in a previous thread (and I apprecaite it) but yes, I am all over the place because there is just so much confusion in my head that I can't seem to sort out the proper actions from the ones I shouldn't do! 

Last conversation we had, I was looking at a Chrysler 200 but I went and drove the Dart yesterday and actually prefer it (better gas milage too....which is big when my daily commute to work is 50 miles).   So that changed.

Ultimatley, I am just in search of the best plan of action for myself as I am just not very well versed in doing the whole auto loan thing as I've only done it once since becoming an adult.  So its really just boiling down to a lack of knowledge.  

I have about 2K that I can afford to put down on a vehicle if I need to but I really would rather not have to do that so I'm just trying to figure out my best course of action.

I assume I should apply through USAA first and then apply in house at the dealership to see if they can beat the rate USAA gives (provided I am approved)? 

Also:  After posting this thread, I checked all three of my scores at have a midscore of 677 (EX), 691 (EQ) and 706 (TU).   Each reporting agency shows no negative marks on the loan that I had discussed.  EX shows nothing at all/not reported for that account.

EDIT:  Another thing that I just noticed on my report that I missed is that in the past year, I have 4 inquiries. Now they were ALL for the same thing (my mortgage that we are closing on this week). Will that affect me too much? Not so much the mortgage inquiry but the multiple hits from the bank in relation to the same exact purchase?  Outside of my mortage, I haven't applied for any type of credit in 3+ years (no credit cards, other loans or anything of that nature).

Message 3 of 10
Remember0
Valued Contributor

Yes, usaa first, then dealer.

If you're new to auto loans and negotiating, I recommend my thread and Samsung's thread. Might take a little while to read (fell free to skip the leasing section), but I think it might help:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Auto-Loans/The-Definitive-Guide-to-Financing-or-Leasing-a-Car/td-p/2...

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Auto-Loans/How-to-buy-a-car-for-the-first-time-buyer/td-p/1923289

4 inquiries won't matter. Do NOT apply for anything/go to a dealer till AFTER close!!!

And good thing the bad history isn't reporting. don't mention it, lenders only see a good history.

Message 4 of 10
kskajohnson
Established Member

Great!  I am going to check your thread out tonight after I get home from work.

Also, I am signing our closing documents today at 4PM.  We will receive our keys on Wednesday.  I was going to apply with USAA on Wednesday Evening/Thursday morning, that's okay, right?

Thanks again!

Message 5 of 10
Remember0
Valued Contributor

Yes, once you get keys in your hands should be fine. They won't take the keys away from you after you get them. Smiley Wink Technically after the ink is dry today at 4 is fine, but you're making a smart choice waiting till the check clears and you get keys.

You're making the smart move: resist until Wednesday/Thursday till after keys are in your hands like you were originally planning.

Message 6 of 10
kskajohnson
Established Member

Excellent! Thanks so much....

I will make sure to update you all with how it goes!

Message 7 of 10
p-
Valued Contributor

If you already know the make/model you want, I strongly reccomend you use the USAA car buying service.  I have purchased a car this way and it was easy.

I went through all of the options, and printed vouchers for three different dealers for the option package I wanted.  Of course, the exact package was unavailable, so I spent a little time emailing back and forth with internet sales managers on "out the door" pricing on some VIN options, and got where I wanted.  I was able, using email, to knock the price down a bit further than the USAA discount.  I ended up buying from a dealer about 3 hours away.  I did the financing online with USAA, and got a pretty good rate in the low 3's.  When you do the car buying stuff, it links you right to the loan app as soon as you finish.  They actually use the car buying out-the-door price with an added margin, and give you approval up to that amount.  It gives you a table of monthly payments based on term and down payment to choose from.  You can choose 0 down payment if you want.  you can't use your spouse's income unless they are on the app.  I used just my own credit and income, and even though I have a mortgage it was no problem.  YMMV

I showed up on pickup day with a payment voucher from USAA, signed paperwork, declined any add-on bs like third party warranties, and was out in about 30 minutes with a new Jeep for my wife.  

About a year later I refinanced it down using Penfed and ended up with a 1.49% rate. Now that I am a member of Penfed I would use their car buying service, which I suspect is powered by the same company.  Their rates are lower, but they don't go over 60 months without a major down payment... So if you want 100% over 72 months, USAA is likely better. 

When I bought my truck, I allowed the dealer to run my credit for a comp bid against USAA's offer.  I told them I had financing already, but would allow them to try to beat it.  I didn't tell them the rate.  They came back with 2.99% @72 mo no down, which was better than USAA's rate, so I went with it.  That was underwritten by TD Auto Finance, who owns Chrylser Motor Credit.

1.  Use the car buying service from USAA or Penfed.  You get rate discounts when you do, and the hassle factor drops way down.

2.  Go with Penfed if you can.  With the CB discount, I've seen them as low as 0.75%.

3.  Use USAA otherwise, and if you don't mind the extra inquiries let the dealer try to beat USAA's rate with Chrysler Motor Credit.

This method is a luxury afforded to those with financial know-how and decent credit.  Take advantage of it.

Edit-  One more thing; USAA used an EQUIFAX FICO.  Penfed pulled EQUIFAX and I assume they used a FICO.  The dealer pulled all 3 once, and I assume gave an auto-enhanced to Chrysler.  I got 3 additional pulls courtesy of the dealer for Ally, BofA, & Bank of the West.

Good luck,

Message 8 of 10
Remember0
Valued Contributor

One caution, depends on the model of car. USAA buying service (pretty sure it's just re-badged Truecar) can be good in some areas with some models sometimes. But if you negotiate well, you can often do better. I did ~1.5k better (on a 20k car) recently vs. USAA buying service/TrueCar. Keep in mind the dealer has to pay a comission (rumored to be ~300) to USAA/TrueCar if you go through them...so you can often negotiate lower by yourself. If you want to negotiate buy yourself, do NOT give your real name/email/address/phone to TrueCar or USAA's buying service. Because if you do, the dealer has to pay USAA/TrueCar their commission even if ultimately you don't use the car buying service's certificate and hence are less willing to negotiate with you.

I will say that TrueCar can be decent in establishing a target price though (I shoot for 1-2k below truecar)...no need to enter any info into truecar if you just want to see the price in your area.

Message 9 of 10
p-
Valued Contributor

@Remember0 wrote:

One caution, depends on the model of car. USAA buying service (pretty sure it's just re-badged Truecar) can be good in some areas with some models sometimes. But if you negotiate well, you can often do better. I did ~1.5k better (on a 20k car) recently vs. USAA buying service/TrueCar. Keep in mind the dealer has to pay a comission (rumored to be ~300) to USAA/TrueCar if you go through them...so you can often negotiate lower by yourself. If you want to negotiate buy yourself, do NOT give your real name/email/address/phone to TrueCar or USAA's buying service. Because if you do, the dealer has to pay USAA/TrueCar their commission even if ultimately you don't use the car buying service's certificate and hence are less willing to negotiate with you.

I will say that TrueCar can be decent in establishing a target price though (I shoot for 1-2k below truecar)...no need to enter any info into truecar if you just want to see the price in your area.

The USAA service used to be Zag, but according to google is now Truecar;   My local dealers were actually not participants, so I contacted them and gave them a chance to beat the deal I found.  No luck, but those internet sales managers sure are hungry...

I agree with Rem, it makes sense to get a non-truecar price to compare.  Depending on your area, it shouldn't be too difficult to find a non-participating dealer to quote you.  For a purchase this large, if you have to drive an hour or two for the best deal, do it.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.