cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uh oh!! Guess I'm gonna have to app for a new car today!!!

tag
electra
Established Contributor

Uh oh!! Guess I'm gonna have to app for a new car today!!!

Dropped my son at school and shortly thereafter my minivan engine started cutting out and driving jerkily...barely moving.  Engine light came on.  I was totally freaked bc I was in my fuzzy pink bathrobe and didn't want to get stranded...OMG!!  So, I floored it, there was a snap and the engine kicked back in but the check engine light stayed on.  Barely made it home...whew!!!

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

Re: Uh oh!! Guess I'm gonna have to app for a new car today!!!

Well at least change into your soccer mom clothes before you hit the dealerships!Smiley Very Happy Seriously, unless you have been considering a new car already then an intermittent problem with your current vehicle is no reason to panic. I am not a mechanic in the least (that's what I have credit cards for) but running it by a shop they can get the codes that will tell them what's the matter. From there you can make a more informed decision.

But if your post was in jest or your ready to just dump the minivan and get a sports car then "You go girl!!!"

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 17
Dustink
Valued Contributor

+1

Fix it. Usually bad to trade in a broken car, unless it is old and worthless already. You will get more without a check engine light.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 3 of 17
carlismycat
New Contributor

The minivan I have now,and the ptevious one both behaved that way and we found out each time it was a belt that was coming off. My husband and his friend (who is more of a true mechanic) would just have to come to my rescue on the rare occasion it would do this and change the belt themselves. It eventually stopped working all together several years later.
Now the current existing minivan is acting up in the same way,among other kinor problems. But its not time to buy a new one yet. We know how to work around those particular issues it has. However, after experiencing the same issues with the first, we know its only a matter of time. BUT its not immediate. There is probably another 1-2 years left on it before we have to seriously get a new vehicle.

btw, both were already older used minivans each time we got them,and they were each a gift . Anyway, with all that said, I think you may be able to work with your vehicles issues mayne even a short period of time (months at least) but thats based on my personal experience and what you described has happened. I had the same thing happen but we notice it only happens if I drive in very heavy rain. Is this an older minivan? What kind? Was it raining or did you possibly hit something on thr rd, before your steering/driving went out of whack ? I imagine it must have been scary . Have it checked out. If its something like just the belt,or power steering fluid , you may have a little time on your hands to try to get prepaired to buy something new.
I will be a first time car buyer in my late thirties because we used our vehicles ( that were given,but all the sake were old to begin with) all the way till they cant drive at all,anymore. I am actually planning for the purchase of the replacement vehicle that we anticipate will need to happen sometime next year, and after we buy our first home.
I dont work outside the home, so its not mandatory I have a new car asap. But I can understand if you also have to work or have lots of obligations, including having to drive the kids to school . I dont have to drive the kids to school but sometimes they miss the bus, and I also like to be able to take one of them to his cardio appointments or go grocery shopping or take the kids out, so they dont become house hermits ;-)
Trying to garden again: Myfico Experian: 621, Myfico Equifax : 613, MyFico transunion: 639
Goal : 780

Message 4 of 17
sccredit
Valued Contributor

You don't address what kind of car it is so no one can tell you if it worth fixing.

We also don't know if you are already eyeing a new car and this is just your motivation to get out there.  

No judgment here, I am notorious for trading in a car because it has given me a couple of problems :-)

Message 5 of 17
electra
Established Contributor

I'd been planning on app-ing for a new car but wasn't *quite* ready yet.  My minivan is a 10 year old Toyota Sienna with 175k + miles on it.  I never changed the timing belt which is apparently a no-no.    I was afraid it was that but my step-dad thinks it's a fuel injector.  I will probably have a mechanic look at it and if it's reasonable to fix it I will before selling it.  From looking at Edmunds it's only worth maybe $3500-$4000 best case scenario.   I can't decide whether to just trade it in or try to sell it on Craigslist.  I will probably ask the dealer what they'll give me and if it's reasonable go with that.  I'm kinda scared of dealing with people off of Craigslist or eBay.  

I definitely need a car, and a reliable car.  I am a working single Mom with 100% custody.

The good news is that I went ahead and app-ed at NFCU and....drumroll....$40k loan for 1.79%!!!  I can't BELIEVE it.  Back in October I was looking at a 17% type loan with my credit score then.   I just sent off my order for a new Audi Q5!!! So excited!!!  

Message 6 of 17
DiabolicallyRandom
Established Contributor

Congrats on your approval and the new car that will follow! How long did it take to get your approval through NFCU? I just applied like 5 minutes ago and the suspense is killing me. Lol
Message 7 of 17
Volpes
Regular Contributor

Q5 is a nice car!

edit to remove unfriendly comments

webhopper

Message 8 of 17
DiabolicallyRandom
Established Contributor

I'm all for the vanity of a new car. I have a perfectly reliable car. Why do I want a new one? Because my spouse went behind my back and got a baby poo green colored one. I pay the payments, why should I cringe every time I look at it. I say go for both reliability and something visually pleasing. Otherwise you will be paying a large amount of money for something, that while dependable, looks like shiny wet #%>¥!
Message 9 of 17
electra
Established Contributor

@DiabolicallyRandom wrote:
Congrats on your approval and the new car that will follow! How long did it take to get your approval through NFCU? I just applied like 5 minutes ago and the suspense is killing me. Lol

Hi DiabolicallyRandom,

I started out app-ing online but then wasn't sure how to report my income (use last years taxes which include fairly typical stock sales or just use straight salary) so I called.

I was probably on the phone with the agent for around 30-40 minutes.  I ended up in review.  Had to answer some identity questions which were probably related to the fact that I have a fraud alert on my account from the Hippa proces.  They then asked me to fax them my last two paychecks which I found VERY surprising given that I'd discovered they had used The Work Report previously to confirm my income when I applied fo rmembership (unbeknownst to me)

After I faxed in my docs it was maybe a 1/2 hour to an hour before it was approved.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.