cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unnecessary Inquiries by Kia Dealer (Already Approved)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Unnecessary Inquiries by Kia Dealer (Already Approved)

I ended up buying the car from them because they gave it to me at the price I wanted and they gave me $800 more on my trade than I was offered at a previous dealer OR privately (my car was literally falling apart and needed much more in repairs than it was worth...I limped it into the dealer with a shoddy welding job and I hope they lost money on it) so I put up with their 'dealer games' for the day but I am really mad about this one and feel really icky about my purchase now. 

Wish I had seen this particular forum while gathering info.

Thank you all for being so responsive.

I plan to email the GM tonight with the details and see what he has to say. Not sure they can even remedy the situation.

Message 11 of 16
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

BTW OFAC is essentially a terrist watch list for those wondering for the fed gov't, just happened to read this thread.  I wrote software for a company I use to work for that put different pieces of information together from our customer (no SSN) being name, address, city, state, DOB and whatever we could get from them and had to send it to a Gov't agency and would essentially get probability hits if they were a felon, etc.. It has been along time since I wrote this extract that was transmitted I believe on a daily basis, but once again it didn't have SSN's..Most business that deal with money must be OFAC compliment from what I remember.. I can see how the dealer used that as a BS excuse as you would of been ran through OFAC, but ssn wouldn't of been needed.

Message 12 of 16
RESgrignoli
Established Member

Yeah, now that I recall more, they did give me that OFAC ("terrorist watch") line of crap, as well, when I signed that form.

Message 13 of 16
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@StartingOver10 wrote:

What form did they have you sign? Did it look like an application or something else?

I routinely change forms - cross out items that i don't agree with and take a photo/pdf copy of it before submitting. Camscanner is a free app. That way you have proof of what you allowed and what you crossed out.  JMO.  At a minimum you will scare the heck out of the F&I guy - and they won't mess with you. I agree with the above, they took advantage of you.

Never heard of that. But I'm not a big "apps" guy.

Thanks for the tip.

Message 14 of 16
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@StartingOver10 wrote:

What form did they have you sign? Did it look like an application or something else?

I routinely change forms - cross out items that i don't agree with and take a photo/pdf copy of it before submitting. Camscanner is a free app. That way you have proof of what you allowed and what you crossed out.  JMO.  At a minimum you will scare the heck out of the F&I guy - and they won't mess with you. I agree with the above, they took advantage of you.

Never heard of that. But I'm not a big "apps" guy.

Thanks for the tip.

My pleasure. Remember an application is like a contract. So change whatever terms you don't agree to....the car dealership will be totally surprised. Take control over your own information. If they won't work with you, walk out. This applies to any form - IMO.

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Creditaddict wrote:

YOU DO NOT FILL OUT A CREDIT APP IF YOU ARE NOT FINANCING OR YOU HAVE FINANCING ALREADY>>> DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT!

They will tell you they have to have it for verification = LIE

They will tell you government requires it = LIE

I really don't get why and what they get out of it by running credit they don't need.

Even my recent Nissan lease... While they only pulled 1 report at dealer from all 3 and Nissan pulled 1 report from EX itself... WHY did the dealership pull all 3? Nissan ONLY uses EX and they know that!? but I can live with 3.

When I'm applying for financing and it's ONLY for the BRAND I'm shopping for, I write on the application this is permission to send to NISSAN ONLY... basically I AM NOT RATE SHOPPING so don't you dare bounce this to other banks!

I bought a used CR-V at a Toyota dealership in Huntington Beach last week. Dealer pulled all 3. I told him before he pulled them what my scores were because I knew from here. Scores came back within a point or two of what I said. Experian was 21 points lower than Eq and 66 points lower than TU just like I told him because of 4 medical collections on Ex only.  TU 680, Ex 614 In the end they only submitted me to Wells Fargo Dealer Services who only pulled Experian. You'd think if they pulled all three and there's a 66 point separation they'd try to find a lender that would look at one of the better scores. 

On on top of that the triple pull the dealer did says "auto loan" and the Ex one WFDS did says "unspecified". I knew I wouldn't get great financing with my scores but I figured wherever I went would try to get me through with my best score. Then again I'm a complete noob to financing a car and should have done more research first.

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.