Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upside down on car loan, help!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Upside down on car loan, help!

I have a 2009 car with an apr of 24%(Westlake Financial)  interest & payments are killing me. I do not have good credit, but I need to lower my payments. What can I do?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
dabrian
Frequent Contributor

Re: Upside down on car loan, help!

Pay as much extra as you can until you can refi to avoid as much interest as possible. Have you tried to refi? If not give Dcu a call.
NFCU Sig Cash-20k/ Amex BCP-19.4k/ Amex Costco-1.2k/Chase Marriott-12k/CSP-13.4k/ Freedom-5.5k/ Discover IT-14k/NCSECU-5k/Walmart-10k/Lowes-25k
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

You haven't really given us much information for us to help you.  When did you buy the car?  What kind of car is it?  What are your FICO scores for all three bureaus?  Any bad accounts on your report?

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's a 2009 Honda Fit, I got it in april. My credit score is 600 that I know of & yes I've tried to re-fi. I have old items on my credit, major thing is student loans but I'm in a program where I don't owe a monthly payment, it does show on my credit that I have a balance thoough.

Message 4 of 6
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

It's a 2009 Honda Fit, I got it in april. My credit score is 600 that I know of & yes I've tried to re-fi. I have old items on my credit, major thing is student loans but I'm in a program where I don't owe a monthly payment, it does show on my credit that I have a balance thoough.

Your headline says:  Upside down on car loan, help!  And in one of your posts you say the payment is too high.

Those two points are really two different things. 

1) If your loan is upside down, and I'm sure it is, then the thing that cures it is payments over time or a lump sum payment.  Normally an upside down loan is a non-issue unless you are going to get rid of the car or refinance.

2) On the other hand, if you are having a difficult time making the payments, that is an immediate and ongoing problem.

The solution to solving the high payment issue is to either refinance or sell the vehicle. 

Based on the small info in your post above, it doesn't look like you have the ability to refi at the moment. Your best bet for a refinance is to work on your credit now and continue to make the payments you have now in full and on time everytime until you reduce the principal balance to a refinanceable amount. That may mean you need to pick up a second job or sell things around the house until you have enough extra funds to put toward the balance.

If you sell your vehicle, NOT TRADE, you still have to bring in the difference between what you can sell it for and the outstanding loan balance. Try getting a quote from CarMax if you have one in your area. They offer more than most dealerships and then you will know how much you have to come up with when you sell if you sell to CarMax. You could try selling it retail to get more.  Trading it is the very worst thing you can do in your situation. You end up bringing all the negative equity over to the new vehicle and what was a reasonable payment becomes a high payment on the future car.

The really bad part about this is you have to see it through (keep, sell or refi) or you end up with a repo on your credit which will hurt you for a long time.

You can get through this with a plan and a little extra work in the meantime. The important thing is keep your payments on time everytime until you can do what you need to do.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is no quick and easy solution here.  I would establish a relationship with a credit union, work hard on fixing your credit as much as you can and pay all of your payments on time no matter what.  For your student loans look into a income based repayment plan which should make them pretty affordable (it has done wonders for me).  Then in a few months try and refinance with your credit union, you don't need great scores to do this just a little bit of improvement as long as the loan to value of the car makes sense.  At 24% you are in danger of being pretty far upside down because all of your payments right now are going to interest so you'll need to work this problem.  

Trading this car in for another and those strategies will not improve your situation, improving your credit so you can refi to something that makes sense is the solution.  I was in a bind last year (long story) had to take a 12.5% car loan and within 8 months was able to refi that to 4.29% so it can be done.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.