Not applicable

Used Auto Loan through NFCU? or Dealer?

Example;

Used car price     10k

Down payment      1k

Trade-in value        1k

Loan amount          8k

Term                     48 or 60

If you are purchasing a used vehicle at dealer, do you get loan with them or NFCU (3.99% APR for term of 37~60 as of 09/06/10) ?

My current car ...

Title  to  NFCU

Owner is me

Paid Loan

Thanks.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Used Auto Loan through NFCU? or Dealer?

You can let the dealership get you a loan or get it yourself, if you can get that rate with NFCU, I would be going that route though because the dealer will never be able to touch this unless they happen to be offering some special financing on certified vehicles or something (think BMW does this)

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Creditaddict wrote:

You can let the dealership get you a loan or get it yourself, if you can get that rate with NFCU, I would be going that route though because the dealer will never be able to touch this unless they happen to be offering some special financing on certified vehicles or something (think BMW does this)

Is that mean, the dealers are never able to have the low APR like 3.99%?

Message 3 of 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

A dealership can either use the bank tied to the car make of the dealership your buying from (toyota financial, ford financial, etc.) or they can send your application out to other banks like Chase, Citi, etc. and as far as I know recently rates are not usually below 6% unless like I said it's a special finance offer on used certified cars for that dealership.  Also when you come to the dealership with cash it's either to talk them down and close the deal faster.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Creditaddict.   Before I go for a used auto loan, I must pay down more on my student loan.

Message 5 of 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I wouldn't think your student loan would effect getting an auto loan at all. it's counted differently in scoring and debt to income

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Really?  Thanks.   That's a good news for me.    Then I just keep making the payments until pay it off.   Thanks again.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.