Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Used car extended warranty

tag
PNut08
New Contributor

Used car extended warranty

I purchased an extended warranty with my used car 2 weeks ago and I want to cancel it. In reading the cancellation policy, it says that I have to include mileage on the cancellation letter. How do I prove the mileage? Alternatively, if I understand the wording correctly, if it is within the first 30 days, I may not need to verify the mileage.

Has anyone cancelled an extended warranty with Ford within the first 30 days before? I will put the mileage in the letter and get delivery confirmation on the letter from the post office, but I'm not sure if I need a dated picture or something of the odometer. Any thoughts?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

Re: Used car extended warranty

They will take your word for it especially in the short period of time that the contract has been in force. Most of the extended warranties have a provision for X months and X miles which is why the question arises. They are not going to give you a full refund if the vehicle has been warranted for 23 out of 24 months or 13,000 out of 20,000 miles as an example.

I know many people on these forums don't advocate buying the extended warranty protection but I am one who has benefited from it. And even though I didn't need a claim on my last one it provided me a degree of peace of mind against large repair expenses that made the warranty worth it to me. But it's a personal decision no matter what. Just follow the instructions to cancel on the paperwork or contact the dealer for assistance.

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 4
KoolDev
Regular Contributor

+1

If you go over the 30 days, the letter with the mileage will have to be notarized. Or carry the vehicle by the dealership for them to verify.

My Sock Drawer: Care Credit $4200-0, JCP 2100-0, Chase 3000-0, Chase Freedom $4500.00-0, WF $1000.00-0.00
In Use: NFCU Visa Sig $17.5k- 0.00k
I still have too MANY CARDS
Starting Score 538
Current Score Oct 30-14 701 fico Eq-- 745 Fico Tu-- 713 Fico Ex
Message 3 of 4
PNut08
New Contributor

Okay, thank you! I typed out the letter with all the info for cancellation and I am going to take that to the dealer this weekend.

By the time the extended warranty runs out, my car will have less than 80k miles on it. If it covered me through >100k miles, then I would probably keep it.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.