Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Used car loan, Need help please!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Used car loan, Need help please!!!

Hello,

Like a broken record my credit isn't the best. I think I have two things in collections on my account but I have just desputed those as both shouldn't be there. I co-signed on someones car loan last year, they have made all the payments on time and when I ran my report I saw that. I did that to help my score... The remaining balance on the car is around 5k. I recently moved and opened a credit card with a store and they gave me either a 5k or a 6k limit, I only have around 400$ charged on the card and have made the payments on time. About a month ago I opened my first actual credit card and just made the first payment early, I only have like 200$ charged on it... Not sure if I should pay in full each month or make the payments on time to show I can do it? Just turned 24, ran my report with trans union and it was 616.... Looking at a used car loan with the amount of 13-14k. I make 55k a year and can expect to add another 10k to that number very shortly. Is there any hope with me getting a used car loan say through Pen Fed, I would just hope the rate to be under 15%....

Any help would be appreciated!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Used car loan, Need help please!!!

Welcome to the forums!

I don't know Penfed's lending practice for auto loans, but I don't think what you quoted is unreasonable from some lender or another.  You're also likely to get another bump up in a few months both from the payments on your cards being reported and if you can get the collections successfully disputed that's nothing but goodness too.  FWIW I just got an email from Penfed pushing their auto-loans, so it appears they want to actually put money in the field in auto-lending.

Unless the collections are for some huge sum of money, I don't think you're in that bad of a spot now, and you'll be better in a bit.  For comparison purposes, I got 19% on a 20k note recently from another lender, with a decidedly worse record than you have (I would've loved to have that co-signed auto loan of yours, or even that credit limit of yours), I don't think you're a long walk from where you need to be if you're not there already.  You might even be pleasantly surprised.  You may want to check USAA too, they seem to be interested in making car loans currently as well.

As for carrying a balance or not, you'll hear a lot of things but none of us truly know and the people who wrote the algorithms aren't talking.  My personal opinion is to just leave something on the card every month, but less than 9% or thereabouts as I think there's some merit in the results people have posted here on observed effects on their score.  The important thing is to just make the payments, and probably more than the minimum as that makes simple financial sense anyway in most cases.  When you actually go to pull the trigger on a loan of any type, get the balances close to zero'd out before that month's statement cuts for best results on the lender pull.

        
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:

Welcome to the forums!

I don't know Penfed's lending practice for auto loans, but I don't think what you quoted is unreasonable from some lender or another.  You're also likely to get another bump up in a few months both from the payments on your cards being reported and if you can get the collections successfully disputed that's nothing but goodness too.  FWIW I just got an email from Penfed pushing their auto-loans, so it appears they want to actually put money in the field in auto-lending.

Unless the collections are for some huge sum of money, I don't think you're in that bad of a spot now, and you'll be better in a bit.  For comparison purposes, I got 19% on a 20k note recently from another lender, with a decidedly worse record than you have (I would've loved to have that co-signed auto loan of yours, or even that credit limit of yours), I don't think you're a long walk from where you need to be if you're not there already.  You might even be pleasantly surprised.  You may want to check USAA too, they seem to be interested in making car loans currently as well.

As for carrying a balance or not, you'll hear a lot of things but none of us truly know and the people who wrote the algorithms aren't talking.  My personal opinion is to just leave something on the card every month, but less than 9% or thereabouts as I think there's some merit in the results people have posted here on observed effects on their score.  The important thing is to just make the payments, and probably more than the minimum as that makes simple financial sense anyway in most cases.  When you actually go to pull the trigger on a loan of any type, get the balances close to zero'd out before that month's statement cuts for best results on the lender pull.

I appreciate the swift responce.

To be honest I have never really cared about my credit but as I'm getting older I want to try and repair it.

The two things on my hisotry are a store credit card and I think the amount they are looking for is under 200$ but that shouldn't be on my report as I was told it would go away when that issue happened years back.

The other is a cell phone, I had an issue with how they voided the terms of my contract on their end and dropped my work discount so I simply stopped paying them. Currently trying to work that out.. But the amount is only 400-600$

If for some reason both of those wont want to work things out I will just take the easy route and pay them. Although I feel they are in the wrong for voiding terms.

My parents got the auto loan about a year or so ago and I asked to be a Co Signer so I can possibly get some good markings from it.

The high limit on one of my cards is only to be used at their store. Like I said 5-6k limit but I only have around a 400$ balance left and have made all payments on time, I can easily pay it off just feel it may be good to stretch it out and show I can make payments on time. Its 0% anyways.

My first real credit card has a lower limit and I have under 200$ charged on it, just made the first payment like 15 days early.

I know a 616 score is pretty bad, but my DTI ratio is really good. I have no student loans and the only debt I have is that 200$ CC that has been payed on time, and my other store credit card that has been payed on time and I'm no where near the limit.

Basically I just want to know where I would have the best chances? The car in question is a bit older and Pen Fed doesn't care about the year... I could easily drive the car for a year and make a few bucks off it... Only reason I would like to try my best to get approved somewhere.

Message 3 of 4
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, I paid cash for everything but had something ugly on my record from years back... and I had no auto / mortgage so I was basically a thin file with a black mark.  You're higher than that, and honestly this forum is populated with people that have been broken from a credit perspective at some point in their past.  Most people in the gold-plated category never worry too much about it, and as a result never wind up on this forum at all.

Some of your options are going to depend on whether you're buying from a dealer or a private party.  I have no clue on private party financing honestly, but many of the used car loans (Cap 1, others) have a limited set of dealerships that you can use it at.  When you decide to pull the trigger, just go out and make a bunch of applications, the inquiries will all roll up into one if you do it in a short time period (two weeks or a month dependant who you talk to) for auto loans.  Penfed, maybe USAA, lendingtree (hits Cap 1 and a few others all at once), and assuming you're buying from a dealer, whoever the dealer does business with.

It's really hard to say who is most likely to finance you as we just don't get anything other than anecdotal results (check out the Auto Loan Approval thread that's stickied) but lending underwriting can change all the time from lender to lender and of course we all start off as individuals to begin with; however, the approvals other people are getting might give you further idea who to go talk to.

        
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.