Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Used car loan advice

tag
sumthin28
Valued Member

Used car loan advice

So I am in the market for a new/used car. My credit score is around 630-640 range right now. Cap One approved me for 5-25k loan with 11-18% percent interest depending on the vehicle I bought. On top of the crap interest rate they say the car must have less then 100k miles on it and the loan term can be 48 months max. I am reallly looking to get a 60 month term and possibly less restrictions on miles. Any suggestions on a lender that would offer better terms that I might also qualify for?

Starting Score 520
Current Score 649 Ex 658 Eq 665 Tu
Goal 700
AmEx everyday 1000 Boa travel rewards !000 Barclays 1300 Chase Freedom 3500 DiscoverIT 1400 Cap 1 Quicksilverone 300 Wallmart 600 Lowes 300 Paypal 500
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Used car loan advice

Did you try applying through whatever bank you currently use?

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I haven't heard anything negative about DCU!  I will be going through them soon unless something changes.

Message 3 of 5
EddieK
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I haven't heard anything negative about DCU!  I will be going through them soon unless something changes.

Just a little advice, make sure your Chexsystem is clear.  A lot of people recommend going for membership first to avoid getting approved for a car loan, then getting declined for membership.  Although I didn't go that route, I called and got approved for the auto loan over the phone, then opened up membership afterwards.  

Starting Scores:
1/19/14:

1/28/14:
2/12/14:
Current Scores:
7/10/19:
12/17/16:
9/05/17:
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@EddieK wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Just a little advice, make sure your Chexsystem is clear.  A lot of people recommend going for membership first to avoid getting approved for a car loan, then getting declined for membership.  Although I didn't go that route, I called and got approved for the auto loan over the phone, then opened up membership afterwards.  

Thanks for the tip! I have opened an account already and will be getting the loan shortly so i guess  I dodged that bullet. Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.