Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VW New Car Help

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

VW New Car Help

Hey Everyone I just joined this site today and I'm currently in the market for a new car. Looking at $26430 MSRP, 2015 Jetta TDI SE w/ Convenience. Plan on putting $5k down. My credit scores as of today are:

751 Equifax

758  Transunion   

749 Experian

Credit score was around 660 last year, applied for a credit card in May 2013 ($300 limit) Been paying that off and utilizing a ton of the car (mainly for gas) and applied via telephone and got a $3k raise on the card as of recently, so I will be using let the utilization and hopefully fall under 10% a month. 

My question is should I apply for the credit approval through VW website or just walk in the dealership?

My plan is to try and go at the end of the year close because dealers have quotas to meet and they have to pay taxes on the cars that remain on the lot (will this help me get a good deal on a new car)?

Any tips on how to approach and solidify the deal would be appreciate. 

Also what rate do you think I will qualify for? Got about 20k in student loans been paying those for almost a year now on time!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
sccredit
Valued Contributor

Re: VW New Car Help

I don't think you would have any issues getting approved at the promotional rates.

Message 2 of 7
Dustink
Valued Contributor

I would go in with a pre-qual just in case. 

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do I go about that? 

Message 4 of 7
Dj4Money
Established Contributor

Go to a bank or credit union (I prefer CU's), get membership, apply and get your rate. It's good for 30 days. Then to go True Car and price out the VW you want with the options you want. 

Take the lowest price paid by people in your area and bid $500-$1,000 below that by contacting all the dealers in the area. Being VW it's only a few, so you should hear back from all of them.

When you find a dealer that will accept your price. Go into and don't get four squared! - http://www.insider-car-buying-tips.com/car_buying_guide_2.html

1) If they agreed to the sales price you got online, make sure they stick to it and watch expensive add-ons

2) If you have a trade, make sure you get top value for it. It sounds like you'll be putting money down however.

3) Your down 

4) Your monthly payment 

By having pre-approval in-hand, means you will make the dealer have to beat it in order for you to get to buy the loan from VW Credit, you are basically a cash buyer.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you that helps out a lot. 

Message 6 of 7
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Split the transaction up into separated parts, steps as you will like the previous poster mentioned. Don't get focused on only one side of the transaction such as rate or price. Negotiate every aspect separately. Also, don't let the dealer lure you in with a low monthly payment. Focus on the underlying parts that yield that payment. Don't get suckered into dealer add-ons such as warranties and gap. These things can be purchased offsite when you are not in a high pressure situation.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.