cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vehicle Installment Loan DESTROYED my credit. Bank Mistake?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Vehicle Installment Loan DESTROYED my credit. Bank Mistake?

Hey guys, thanks for taking the time to read this.

Pretty unique situation, I've pretty much figured that the bank made a grave error, but let's see what your thoughts are. I will be reaching out with them tomorrow, however, this bank First Flight Federal Credit Union, has a less than satisfactory customer service department, and their hundreds of 1-2 star reviews remind me that every day - so it's a little hard to sleep tonight.

Here's the scoop. In March I decided to pay off my vehicle loan. There was still 18 months left. I didn't do an additional principal payment, I couldn't be bothered with their stupid antics. I simply went online used the standard epay, paid the remaining balance and never looked back. 

Around 2 weeks ago I started to receive calls from First Flight Federal Credit Union in regards to the account. It was just a simple "Hey please call us back", "This is XYZ with FF, please call when you have a chance", or "This is XYZ with FF, please call XYZ2 when you have a chance". Well, I tried to call and requested to speak with the lady I was told to speak with to no avail, several times actually. Finally at my last call I decided I needed to speak to anybody, since again, the lady wasn't avail. I was told that I owed $6.08 for the vehicle to be paid in full. I asked how that's possible since I overpaid when I made my big payment to the account to ensure it was paid in full. She told me that they don't have a system in place to accept an online payment as the final payment, so I needed to mail in a check. I sent the check priority mail and they cashed it on the 25th.

Around 2am on the 26th I get hit me 2 of my monitoring services, then on the 27th 4 more, than so far today Nerd Wallet hit me up too with a notification.

GUESS WHAT? My account is closed and now says "30-59 Days Late" or some variation depending on the monitor. Additionally my hard copies via the bureau official site has it listed as negative, closed, no more than 30 days past due. All of the payments have been paid on time in the report, and just like on CK, all of the monitoring/reporting apps I use show paid on time all the time.

Here's the problem. I've already reached out to the executive department about this as I have no faith in the regular customer service. If they do not respond, and or they drag their feet, what can be done?

It's an installment loan, and similar to my Bank of America, Sun Trust, Navy Federal, and my other vehicle's loans (yes I love cars), they are all prepaid out around 4-6 months, and all of them have due dates nearing or in 2018. That being said, there is NO WAY AT ALL I could be late on this as I've prepaid essentially for the remainder of the loan. Again, I used their eportal to make the payments, and I know they didn't do a separate principal and interest payment. I know that because, for the life of the loan, I've always paid 3-4 months at a time, thus giving me more time between payments, and my experience on this loan has showed me that is indeed the fact.

IS IT SAFE TO ASSUME THEY SIMPLY CHECKED THE WRONG BOX WHEN SUBMITTING AN ACCOUNT UPDATE TO CLOSED?

What I'm looking for are routes I can take if the bank is unwilling to help, and/or they drag their feet. Is this something that can be disputed?

Thanks,

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Vehicle Installment Loan DESTROYED my credit. Bank Mistake?

Absolutely dispute.
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Vehicle Installment Loan DESTROYED my credit. Bank Mistake?

Also you have the BBB route to assist you and possibly even Consumer Finance. Try FF first though sounds like a error.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.