cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WHY is my interest rate so terrible?!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: WHY is my interest rate so terrible?!

@Anonymous wrote:
So I pre qualified myself for a capital one auto loan. They gave me a max budget of $25,000 (which seems low for my income) and a sliding interest rate between 14.73-18.00%!!! My current FICO 8 scores are 642,631,610. I currently have an auto loan with Santander *gross* but that vehicle would be traded in with a $7k down payment for no negative equity. Anyone have any guess why my rate is so terrible? I only ask because I have seen others in this range on this forum with the same scores pulling single digit rates! Any insight is most helpful!
How is your auto payment history? Any BKS", foreclosures ect? Have you ever burned Cap One on a credit card before
I got 8.10 last year with Chrysler Cap, scores in the low to mid 500's. One 30 day auto baddie in 2012 and one in 2010. IMO there is more that meets the eye besides the scoring system. I put 1K down and rolled in 4K neg equity.

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Me and my husband just now co-signed on a car loan! its a preowned Toyota corolla LE 2015 with 13,432 miles  on it , and i am the primary applicant ,and we got it for 4.0% (which is little high) but considering our situation this seems to be the best option.

Here is our background , we both are drivers and we drive around 165 to 200 miles a day  (my husband has 2015 prius with 0% financing), so we obviously are want cars that give high mileage , low maintainance and reliability. corollas are great in that category.

as for our credit , my husband has baddies and few old collections  and his scores are in lower 600s , but has immaculate payment history with Toyota and because of this he got 0% financing for his prius in 2015. i have good scores, my transunion is 731 and no baddies , perfect payment history , however i dont have a long history , i have 1 year credit history with TONS of inquires. and even though i work as a subcontractor we have setup our income in such a way that my pay goes to my husband's check in his name , that way we have one pay check and a one time insurance deduction. so considering all of this , i am happy we were able to close this deal with 4.0% interest rate for 75 months. This makes my monthly car payment 239$ for this new (pre owned certified) car along with gap insurance .

We are currently wanting to trade in my husband's 2015 prius for a corolla and get a better deal and low combined payment for two cars. lets see tomorrow he is going to the dealer to discuss the trading in of his car. his car payment is 517$ . when he called the dealer today they told him that by trading in his prius for a New corolla he can reduce his car payment to 330s .that i think will be perfect for us . that way our combined payment would be around 550

Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think they consider more then just credit score cause just based on that I should of not been approved.

I am currently approved with a $35k max, and a 4.14%-12.87% interest rate with scores in the mid 550s.  I would assume it is cause my current car a BMW is almost paid off and my income is well over $100k/year.

Might have just been a credit analyst having a bad day when they did your approval *shrug*

Message 13 of 17
Raziel77
Regular Contributor

It is true that Cap One gives a sliding scale, but they will give an exact rate when you choose the car online through their tool, before you visit the dealer. The tool will not show a higher rate 12.9% when the max on your approval is 12% ! Did you get the 12.9 from the dealer? I think they just wanted you to go with someone else for their own benefit. They can easily overprice another bank and pocket the difference. That’s why they are called stealers. Never ever trust the business office of a dealership.

TU: 738
EQ: 721
EX: 732 Plus score
Message 14 of 17
FroggieMom
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Me and my husband just now co-signed on a car loan! its a preowned Toyota corolla LE 2015 with 13,432 miles  on it , and i am the primary applicant ,and we got it for 4.0% (which is little high) but considering our situation this seems to be the best option.

Here is our background , we both are drivers and we drive around 165 to 200 miles a day  (my husband has 2015 prius with 0% financing), so we obviously are want cars that give high mileage , low maintainance and reliability. corollas are great in that category.

as for our credit , my husband has baddies and few old collections  and his scores are in lower 600s , but has immaculate payment history with Toyota and because of this he got 0% financing for his prius in 2015. i have good scores, my transunion is 731 and no baddies , perfect payment history , however i dont have a long history , i have 1 year credit history with TONS of inquires. and even though i work as a subcontractor we have setup our income in such a way that my pay goes to my husband's check in his name , that way we have one pay check and a one time insurance deduction. so considering all of this , i am happy we were able to close this deal with 4.0% interest rate for 75 months. This makes my monthly car payment 239$ for this new (pre owned certified) car along with gap insurance .

We are currently wanting to trade in my husband's 2015 prius for a corolla and get a better deal and low combined payment for two cars. lets see tomorrow he is going to the dealer to discuss the trading in of his car. his car payment is 517$ . when he called the dealer today they told him that by trading in his prius for a New corolla he can reduce his car payment to 330s .that i think will be perfect for us . that way our combined payment would be around 550

Just a few words to the wise....#1 Dealers will tell you ANYTHING to make a sale! Regardless of it is in your best financial interest.  

#2  Financing a vehicle for 75 mo when you drive 1000 miles a week will have you in a DEEP negative equity situation quick! 

Summer 2018 FICO 8 scores~
Gardening until 2019....at least
Message 15 of 17
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

I find the exact opposite with Cap One.

they treat me better than any other bank including my bank of 20 years with 3 checking accounts.

Cap One just blew my mind!

i have been very very happy with them since my BK a few years ago, but this is amazing!

i went to local credit union and could not get approved for new car at any rate for any amount with $10k down payment.

Cap One just preapproved me for $40,000 at 2.49% for 60 months or 2.93% for 72 months with no money down!

No wonder I am so loyal and yes I will stay loyal.

YMWV, I do spend a lot on my cap one cards and pay them weekly.

BTW my scores are just south of 700 now.

Update...

Went to the new car dealer and had the easiest process ever.  

Filled out the Cap One application on paper, came back 5 mins later with 2.49% for 72 months with $0 down and no supporting documents needed.

@Drove out with a brand new car @ $35k.

BTW Cap One interest rates are also based on the car, resale value, etc.  

I got a great deal, so the rate went to the lowest rate.

If a car is over priced, your rate will go up.

Tons of horror stories out there, but Cap One treats me like a king.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations on getting the deal you wanted!!
Cap1 gave me a good deal last year as well, so yes they can be very helpful
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.