cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to purchase a new Car but already am a Co-Signer of another one.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Want to purchase a new Car but already am a Co-Signer of another one.

So I am planning to purchase a new car in the next couple of months which will require a auto loan. My credit score is okay at 670-680 and have some credit card debt but never missed a payment or have gone to collection. My current salary is 50k a year.  I'm concerned that I will not qualify for the loan due to already having 1 car loan on my record. Am I right to be concerned or am I being overly cautious?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Want to purchase a new Car but already am a Co-Signer of another one.

If a second loan would theoretically stretch your finances very thin, then yes it might be an issue. (They will want to make sure you can comfortable cover the new loan payments so they get paid). I'd say that the dollar amount of the loan you co-signed for and the amount of your disposable income (after bills) is where the yes or no would come from rather than whether or not you are a cosigner for someone.

Many parents co-sign for their kids, or husbands and wives co-sign for each other. 

Message 2 of 6
incognitony
Frequent Contributor

I'm pretty sure you can find financing unless you have a pricey mortgage or something. I had 2 cars financed with payments of 900+ total on similar type income. 

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay. I think I should be okay. The co signed loan is only for 15k and the payments are only 250 which my spouse is paying. No mortgage or other loans. Just don't want any surprises when I apply for the car.

Message 4 of 6
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So I am planning to purchase a new car in the next couple of months which will require a auto loan. My credit score is okay at 670-680 and have some credit card debt but never missed a payment or have gone to collection. My current salary is 50k a year.  I'm concerned that I will not qualify for the loan due to already having 1 car loan on my record. Am I right to be concerned or am I being overly cautious?

It all depends on what's in your profile and for what amount you plan on financing the car for. I have two car loans under my name and when I app'd for the second one they didn't even question anything. 

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

My profile just has the co-signed car loan for 15k and some credit card debt. My plan is to finance around 20,000 - 22,000 for the new car and planning to put down around 6-7K.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.