cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wanting a car loan but have my x-wife's judgment on my EQ TU report.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wanting a car loan but have my x-wife's judgment on my EQ TU report.

The x-wife and I both signed a $35,000 signature loan at a bank.  She was awarded the loan in the divorce and she later defaulted on the full amount loan.  The bank now has a judgment on me and the x-wife for $39,000.

I told the attorney for the bank that the x-wife was awarded the loan in the divorce and he said that did not matter what the judge ordered.  I sent the attorney a copy of the divorce decree and he still did not change his mind on the matter.  He is wanting the money from either me, the x-wife, or both.  The constable has been by my home to collect any non-exempt property for this judgment.

Anyway...Now my Equifax and TransUnion reports I the judgment and the charge off account listed.  The judgment was reported on my credit report on 8-15-09.  My score dropped to 660, 665, 685.

My question is:

Can I get a car loan from BMW, Mercedes, or Ford with the charge-off and judgment on my credit report?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Wanting a car loan but have my x-wife's judgment on my EQ TU report.

Thanks for all the replies on getting an auto loan in my situation.  Not even one reply.

I DID get a loan from my local Mercedes Benz dealer for a 2010 CLS550 with the AMG kit.  I had to show all my court documents for proof and my loan was at 5.5 percent.

Again, thanks for all the replies.

Message 2 of 3
GregB
Valued Contributor

Re: Wanting a car loan but have my x-wife's judgment on my EQ TU report.

Laws will vary by state.

Just because your ex was awarded the loan in the divorce does not remove you from the liabiltiy with the original lender. If you look at it from their point-of-view, they loaned BOTH of you the money.

You might have a legal right to go after your ex for damages. The bank WILL probably try to collect their money. If you are collectable that might make you a better target.

It isn't fair. In the environment as I have seen it in California, a person would be an idiot to get married. That is just pathetic. The dishonest lawyers, which is most of them, have completely ruined the institution of marriage.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.