Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Was this smart?

tag
northface28
Established Contributor

Was this smart?

I have a current loan with WFDS, the term is 64 mos remaining @ 6% APR. My monthly payment is $328 but I pay $350. I refinanced with another company, the terms are now 60 mos @ 4% and the payment is $342. Did I make a mistake?

BK Discharged 9/11

Cap1 Quiksilver Visa Signature $41k| Discover IT $24k| Barclays Uber VISA $16.2k|BOA Cash Rewards $8.4k| BOA BBR $6k|AMEX Cash Magnet $12.8k|AMEX BCP $16.6k|Huntington Voice $5.5k|Citi Double Cash $5.7k| US Bank Cash+ $6.5k
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Appleman
Valued Contributor

Re: Was this smart?

If you are saving 2% in interest then no, you did not make a mistake.

Looks like you are paying $14 more a month but making 4 less payments. 

Multiply 4 X your payment amount. Take that total and subtract $840. That should equal the saving you will enjoy (unless there was a fee and subtract that as well).

($840 is the additional $14/month payment X 60 months). Paying extra will further drop your interest charge.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@northface28 wrote:

@I have a current loan with WFDS, the term is 64 mos remaining @ 6% APR. My monthly payment is $328 but I pay $350. I refinanced with another company, the terms are now 60 mos @ 4% and the payment is $342. Did I make a mistake?

No, you didn't make a mistake.  This is actually a smart move on your part as you get to save money.

Message 3 of 7
northface28
Established Contributor

I should add that even the payment amount for the WFDS is $331, if i dont pay the $19 and pay $350, the next month, it goes up to $355 from $331 or so. Initially the payment was $387 but I would pay more than the required payment to get some of that interest gone. 

BK Discharged 9/11

Cap1 Quiksilver Visa Signature $41k| Discover IT $24k| Barclays Uber VISA $16.2k|BOA Cash Rewards $8.4k| BOA BBR $6k|AMEX Cash Magnet $12.8k|AMEX BCP $16.6k|Huntington Voice $5.5k|Citi Double Cash $5.7k| US Bank Cash+ $6.5k
Message 4 of 7
Appleman
Valued Contributor

Ahh, so the real first payment was $387, but you have been paying a little extra and WFDS just trieds to lower the next payment.

You did the right thing, and are saving money!

Message 5 of 7
elim
Senior Contributor

I'm guessing the loan is currently at about $18,600  ($18,600 @ 4% = 60 ea. $342 payments)

60 months @ 4% = $1,950 in interest

64 months @ 6% = $3,180 in interest

you will save $1,230 if you make the regular payment,  more if you continue to pay it off faster.

congrats

Message 6 of 7
surferchris
Valued Contributor

@elim wrote:

@I'm guessing the loan is currently at about $18,600  ($18,600 @ 4% = 60 ea. $342 payments)

@Anonymous months @ 4% = $1,950 in interest

@Anonymous months @ 6% = $3,180 in interest

you will save $1,230 if you make the regular payment,  more if you continue to pay it off faster.

congrats

Agreed, and congrats.

Current Cards:
AmEx Hilton Honors Surpass//AmEx Platinum Card//Ann Taylor Rewards Mastercard//Capital One Platinum Card//Credit One AmEx//Credit One Platinum VISA//Fingerhut//Navy More Rewards AmEx//TruWest Platinum VISA//Aspire VISA//Costco Anywhere VISA//Lowes Advantage//Apple Card
Loans:
1 Mortgage/////Navy FCU Auto Loan (2020 Jaguar I-Pace)//Capital One Auto (2016 BMW i3)
Next Cards (4th QTR 2022):
Navy Flagship Rewards VISA//Chase Sapphire Preferred
Stats:
Scores: 700's // Inq's: 1 for mortgage // Util: 1% // AoOA: 21 yrs

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.