cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Way to find out how much they'd lend without applying ?

tag
Appleman
Valued Contributor

Re: Way to find out how much they'd lend without applying ?

With good credit some banks will do 110 to 120% of MSRP with no down payment. The dealers love this as the taxes and some add-ons can all be grouped into the same loan.

Is this a good idea, probably not. Ideally you want to find out what a bank or credit union will pre-approve / loan you. Leaving everything to the dealer gives them entirely too many numbers to manipulate leaving you confused and more of your money in their pockets.

Once you walk in with your own financing, you have more leverage and confidence in the process. Waiting in the finance office unsure of what rate you will get is not a fun experience in my book.

Message 11 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Way to find out how much they'd lend without applying ?

I will never buy a car putting cash down!! Finance everything. Buy gap program through your insurance if you finance whole amount. A year ago my credit is crap at around 540 and capital one still financed up to 35000. I only used 19000 cause interest high. For 19000 my interest was almost 14%. Now almost a year later I'm able to get a 95k car loan at 1.9 2.49 and 4.2 for 72 months. Also buying a house doesn't require 20% down its good if u do but not required. It's good cause if you put 20% of more down you aren't require to pay for Mortgage loan insurance cause hopefully your loan is less than what house worth

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.