cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Went to BMW today with my Pre-Approval....

tag
toi34
Established Contributor

Went to BMW today with my Pre-Approval....

**Delete Thread Please**

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
kr3st00
Regular Contributor

Re: Went to BMW today with my Pre-Approval....

Congrats

mod edit

Message 2 of 18
toi34
Established Contributor

Thanks!

Message 3 of 18
mtrsprt
Frequent Contributor

Just for the headache you were dealing with, I would have told them to eat crow, and walked.  Their are plenty of BMW dealers and private party sales out there.

Starting Score: 521 TU, 597 EQ, 574 EX on 6/20/2011
Current Score: 753 TU, 764 EQ, 766 EX on 02/17/2014
Goal Score: 720-740 Across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 18
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

@toi34 wrote:

Long story short:

....ultimately the deal worked out, but not without a little bit of haggling and hard-sell techniques, bringing-in a boss, my calling my bank, and the dealership finally giving me more for my trade-in....

Turns-out the salesman worked in auto finance for 15 years before going back to the sales floor ( cited long hours...).

Although I had a preapproval letter from my CU ( and we called the underwriter) he said they STILL had to pull my credit??? I flat-out refused, he insisted, I continued to refuse. What's the point in securing your own financing  if all the dealership is going to do is re-run your credit??? It didn't make sense to me and I got up to walk out.

Finally he said we'd do it the CU way, which is faxing the purchase order, etc. but that they would not release the car to me until the check arrived. Fine. 

The check was sent overnight with a tracking number. It will be in his hands by 10:30am...and I'll FINALLY be able to drive-off in my birthday present!

Congrats on the present! What model did you go for?

EX FICO (AMEX): 728 (4/29/17) | TU FICO (Discover): 737 (4/7/17) | EQ FICO (Citi): 746 (3/28/17)
Message 5 of 18
ExplicitElicit
Established Contributor

Congrats on your new vehicle, when it comes to them running your credit you really have to stand your ground and say "no" over and over and mean it. I know it gets repetitive but in the end if they did run it I would submit and complaint and have them removed (unless you signed something letting them pull). They are persistent but that's the job they have.

Message 6 of 18
toi34
Established Contributor

He didn't run my credit, nor did I sign anything giving permissible purpose. The only thing I signed was the purchase order. The salesman was quite frustrated with me because my heels were dug-in and there was no way around it.  Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 18
9CLINE
Valued Contributor

WTG Congrats on your new birthday car....

Message 8 of 18
credit-hunter
Frequent Contributor

When car shopping and you have a preapproval letter from CU/bank FREEZE your reports this way they can't sneak a HP on you..Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 18
avggoal700
Frequent Contributor

Congrats.  I woulda asked for a different salesman in the same bldg.

EX 706. TU 705 EQ 682. Avg 698
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.