cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are my chances of getting car financing now?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What are my chances of getting car financing now?

I have managed to save up nearly $24,000 over the past couple of years that I planned to use towards a car or home purchase someday, and I think that time is coming. However, I have bad credit. I was 18 and stupid and opened a couple credit cards that I missed a few payments on a few years ago, but since then I have paid off all of my credit card and loan debt and closed those accounts, so the only thing I have left on my credit is about $8,000 in student loans. I make roughly $2,500 a month after taxes. My fiancé is the breadwinner, so I don't consider our rent in my monthly expenses because he covers that. Meaning I only have about $600 in monthly payments. I also haven't had a late payment in over 2 years now. But my credit score is still at a 530.

I have my eye on a Mercedes Benz GLC 300 and with the options I want I am looking at about a $60,000 price tag. With 40% ($24,000) down, would a dealership or bank give me financing options on a car that price? If it's not possible I'm willing to save up another couple of years because I'm set in stone on that car. I just want to know if with this good down payment it would be possible now. Thanks in advance for any advice/answers.
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What are my chances of getting car financing now?

@Anonymous wrote:
I have managed to save up nearly $24,000 over the past couple of years that I planned to use towards a car or home purchase someday, and I think that time is coming. However, I have bad credit. I was 18 and stupid and opened a couple credit cards that I missed a few payments on a few years ago, but since then I have paid off all of my credit card and loan debt and closed those accounts, so the only thing I have left on my credit is about $8,000 in student loans. I make roughly $2,500 a month after taxes. My fiancé is the breadwinner, so I don't consider our rent in my monthly expenses because he covers that. Meaning I only have about $600 in monthly payments. I also haven't had a late payment in over 2 years now. But my credit score is still at a 530.

I have my eye on a Mercedes Benz GLC 300 and with the options I want I am looking at about a $60,000 price tag. With 40% ($24,000) down, would a dealership or bank give me financing options on a car that price? If it's not possible I'm willing to save up another couple of years because I'm set in stone on that car. I just want to know if with this good down payment it would be possible now. Thanks in advance for any advice/answers.

Saving $24k is quite remarkable . . nice job there!

FWIW, I read DANGER DANGER DANGER when I see this post.

@I would have to think long and hard about 1) blowing my hard earned savings 2) committing to an $850 payment  (60mo @Anonymous% interest if you're lucky) on top of having blown all your savings on a $60k car 

While you're not responsible for housing expenses now, imagine if you suddenly were and needing to figure everything out on a $2500/month income with an $850 car payment and $600 in other expenses with no savings.

You can really do well in the luxury car market when you buy something that's a few years old. Perhaps work on rebuilding your credit and getting your score up, using some of that savings as a down payment and financing a much smaller amount on a car that costs $25k.

Message 2 of 3
Sandman771
Valued Contributor

Re: What are my chances of getting car financing now?

If you don't NEED a car right this moment, then I'd put that $24K to work for me. You have a student loan, so that handles your installment loan quite nicely. I'd look at some secured credit cards, maybe two with $1000 in each one. Make sure that one never reports a balance and the second one only shows less than 9% balance when the statement cuts. That should have you a nice uptick in your scores within 6 months.The magic number is three so maybe a third one with a local credit union that you believe would graduate to unsecured status after 6 months. 

Starting Score: EQ497/TU496/EX 499
Currently: EQ 620 TU 654 EX 627
in the garden since 6/16/2021
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.