Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What companies offer GAP Ins?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What companies offer GAP Ins?

I'm currently insured through 21st Century but they don't offer GAP insurance. 

What companies offer GAP Ins and how much does it cost?

TIA

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
daisyduke
Valued Contributor

Re: What companies offer GAP Ins?

Here's how I think it works

I think you get GAP through the dealer, when you buy your car. Call the dealer that you bought you car from and ask them. I bought a car in Nov and I think they wanted $495 a year for the coverage but I declined it because my car is worth more than the loan I have on it.  You should consider GAP if you are financing a car that is not worth the amount you owe on it (IE you are upside down), otherwise you don't need it. 

Starting Score: 682 EQ, 663 TU
Current Score: 687 EQ - 705 TU on 7/18/10
Goal Score: 700 + both EQ and TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply daisyduke Smiley Happy

I thought it was also needed because when you drive a car off the dealer lot it immediately starts depreciating.  Heaven forbid u get into an accident and it's totalled, GAP insurance protects u just in case ur (regular) insurance doesn't want to pay blue book value?

I guess I misunderstood the necessity of it lol, but then again.. I've never had to consider it b4 so don't hold that against me Smiley Wink

I called my insurance company again and it turns out the last rep I spoke with either didn't know what she was talking about, or just didn't want to bother looking into it.  I was told they DO offer it, so I asked for a quote and guess what??!?!?!  I was told it would cost me an extra $40-60 per term!!!  I was ECSTATIC cuz when I'm finally ready to make a purchase I don't have to get jerked by the salesguy

Message 3 of 7
daisyduke
Valued Contributor

HI Geo174

My insurance company does not offer this product. Your peace of mind is worth something. It's good that you know that you got a quote. 

I once "totalled" a brand new maxima we paid about 30K for it (about three months old). I was hit by a landscape truck barreling down a hill. My insurance company fixed the car at a 28K cost and did not total it. We did not have gap and didn't worry about it b/c we had put 10K down on it and owed only 20K on the car, gap not needed at that point.  But my insurance company said our car was too new to total it. Too bad b/c I wanted to get a BMW 5 series!!

Good luck to your car shopping endeavors!!

Starting Score: 682 EQ, 663 TU
Current Score: 687 EQ - 705 TU on 7/18/10
Goal Score: 700 + both EQ and TU

Message 4 of 7
makingitbetter
Valued Member

Progressive offers Gap Insurance, but I'm not sure of the price, as I rolled the cost into my car insurance. 

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

wow, that's strange they would spend $28K to fix a car  that's probably worth less even if it's 3 month old to you. As far as Gap goes, I got mine through the CU who financed me and I think it's about $249 for the life of the loan.

Message 6 of 7
chasmith
Valued Contributor

When I refinanced my last car NFCU provided Gap at $300.  The lump sum policies from dealers aren't the best way to go, there's probably a 50% commission to the dealer.

BK7 Filed 8/11/2009 Discharged 11/23/2009. Purchased new home 4/11/2012
Starting Score:11/16/2009 EQ 566 11/16/2009 TU 538
Interim Score: 12/27/2012 EQ 683 09/17/2012 EX (lender) 670 1/01/2013 TU 701
Current Score: 11/06/2013 EQ 708 11/06/2013 EX 702 11/16/2013 702 11/06/2013 TU 729
Goal Score: EQ 740 EX 740 TU 740
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.