cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What kind of interest rate can I expect at dealer? Can't seem to get pre-approved! :(

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What kind of interest rate can I expect at dealer? Can't seem to get pre-approved! :(

Equifax - 614
Transuion - 609
Experian - 594

In the market for a new car. Tried to get preapproved thru Capital One and E-loan. Both denied me. Not a member of a credit union With my scores, what kind of interest rate can I expect to pay on a brand new car (mazda 3) if I go into a dealer? I'm thinking somewhere around 14%-15% but am I dreaming? Will it be higher than that? I financed a car previously so I'm hoping that'll help (never been late, always a month ahead). And how long do you have to be a member of a credit union before you qualify for an auto loan with that credit union? I'm getting so depressed about this cuz I'm supposed to be buying a new car within the next two weeks. Two years ago my credit score was a 550. I thought I'd get better deals now that they're higher but I can't seem to win. Smiley Mad
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What kind of interest rate can I expect at dealer? Can't seem to get pre-approved! :(

Check the local credit unions anyway! My EQ FICO was 601 and I just recently got approved for 30K @ 7.95%. I don't think you necessarily have to be a member to get financing from the credit union. Don't go to dealer financing unless you absolutely have to, check ALL your options before giving up!

For the record, if they require you join, it shouldn't be a terribly big investment. My State Credit Union required a five dollar deposit to be a member. Big woop. Now get out there and get the best deal!

Message Edited by Rocket on 06-04-2008 06:46 PM
Message 2 of 4
EDub357
Frequent Contributor

Re: What kind of interest rate can I expect at dealer? Can't seem to get pre-approved! :(

I think most credit unions require membership. 
Message 3 of 4
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

They do, but for instance I got a motorcycle loan through a local CU and they just required that I open a savings account with $20 minimum...  so I did.  When I paid off the bike, I closed the savings account.  No biggie.

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.