cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should I do to get out of this situation?

tag
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Re: What should I do to get out of this situation?

When I was 18 I didn't have a car at all, and I would definately not put my own daughter in that situation. I started college about 3 hours from home when I was 17 years old.  My parents were a little odd in that they wouldn't "let" me have a job while I was in college and either didn't want, or couldn't afford for me to have a car.  That lasted until I got pregnant at 18. I moved back home briefly and then and moved out on my own when I was 19. The moving out part was due to disagreements between myself and my mom regarding how to raise my daughter.    At that point I knew what I needed to do as far as doing well in school, and I have always been willing to work hard. So I picked up three jobs and got a daycare.  I also felt like what I was doing with my daughter was the right thing to do, no matter how my parents felt.  They literally wanted me to deny my daughter's father from being in her life, on her birth certificate and from seeing her at all.  

They stated that since I lived with them that they could tell me what to do.  Unfortunately for them, I am stubborn and I like to make my own rules and my own way in life.  I never asked my parents to co-sign for me a car, but I think they felt guilty at that point when they drove 2 hours to see me and the kiddo and figured out that I had no transportation for me and my daughter.  I'm grateful that she did it, and our relationship is good now.  

I think its easy to be wrapped up in the idea that co-signing for your kiddo a car is a bad move to do, however, in my situation and in plenty of other people's situation, it can be a very responsible thing to do.

My parents did this with all four of us kids, and of the 4, only one of us had an issue with paying on time and it wasn't really his fault (long story)  he was sending the money home for the bills to be paid, but his now EX wife was not paying the bills.

Out of us four, we all learned responsibility and we all have paid our own way and contributred to society now...   I think there is a misconception that there is only one right and one wrong way... 

In reality, there are as many right and wrong ways as there are kids in the world Smiley Wink

I tried a several hour commute that involved a ferry to get to UW, but that didn't last long...

As for cosigning. I am glad my grandmother lent me the money to buy a car. I preferred paying her back over a bank. Although, I then lacked an installment loan on my credit report.

Sometimes the more a parent or sibling screws up. The easier it is for the child to learn the correct way. 

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 21 of 26
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

When I was 25 I found out that my grandmother and my aunt, who both taught at universities offered to pay my tuition for me to attend an ivy league school.

My parents respectfully declined on my behalf.  I could have been accepted, my scores and GPA were higher than the average for those that were accepted into Harvard.

My grandparents didn't believe in borrowing or loaning money. They live cash only.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 22 of 26
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

When I was 25 I found out that my grandmother and my aunt, who both taught at universities offered to pay my tuition for me to attend an ivy league school.

My parents respectfully declined on my behalf.  I could have been accepted, my scores and GPA were higher than the average for those that were accepted into Harvard.

My grandparents didn't believe in borrowing or loaning money. They live cash only.

I would have been rather angry...

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 23 of 26
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@Dustink wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

If I was angry... It would make me a bitter and unhappy person... As it is, I'm not sure a Harvard education would have made me any more successful than I already am. I followed my interests and it led to an awesome career.   I understand their reasons.

FICO 9:

Message 24 of 26
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

If I was angry... It would make me a bitter and unhappy person... As it is, I'm not sure a Harvard education would have made me any more successful than I already am. I followed my interests and it led to an awesome career.   I understand their reasons.

I think I would have just been upset in that my parents decided for me. I would have rather had them present the idea to me, then explained why they felt it was a bad idea.

Message 25 of 26
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

You are right, that would have been a much better situation. Unfortunately they just aren't like that. They also did the same thing when my grandmother and aunt offered to pay for my baby sister to attend ivy league.  Of the 4 children, my baby sister and I were born with above average intelligence.

I understand their choice, and in hindsight it was the right choice.

FICO 9:

Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.