cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What sort of provable income do I need for an auto loan?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What sort of provable income do I need for an auto loan?

Little background... I am a SAHD, though I do work part time making maybe $600 a month provable plus that same amount thats not so provable.. my wife has the job ($5500/month) and in her name we have the mortgage, auto and CC's that puts her DTI around 38%... but may car is about shot, 2001 with 160K miles on it, what does my income need to be so we can run it thru my name instead of hers?? Really need to do this as we plan on doing a refi home renovation on our house and the mortgage will go up.. my current scores are right about 600..

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What sort of provable income do I need for an auto loan?

Oh... and I am talking about a $300 type payment, nothing fancy..

Message 2 of 6
cdtotten
Established Contributor

Theres a lot more that goes into your approval than income, and it also depends on the interest rate and term of the loan.

Lets assume 4.99%  for 48 months - at those terms, with a payment of $300.00... you could afford $12,000 worth of car (including taxes, tags, etc). However, if you only have provable income of $7,200 a year... that is going to be a problem for most lenders.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

My SAHD days are about over, will a bank approve me as soon as I start working?? Or do they want X amount of months of employment?

Message 4 of 6
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Navy CU asked for income verification, but when I bought a car at carmax, verification was never asked for.

I don't think a lot of dealers ever ask for verification and a lot of the applications i have filled out asked for HHI, so you could include your wives income since your married...

Message 5 of 6
cdtotten
Established Contributor

It all varies by lender on who verifies income and who doesn't. For me, Honda did not, my CU did, and Ford did for my wife.

I don't think I would want to lie though about it, and then get it verified to be a lie. That would be bad.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.