cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do w/old car - trade in? craigslist?

tag
electra
Established Contributor

What to do w/old car - trade in? craigslist?

So, my new Audi should be arriving soon, hopefully next Wed.   I'd like to sell my old minivan before then so I can apply the amount towards the down payment.  If you read my earlier posts you know it broke but I've since gotten it fixed...wasn't too bad...$300 for new spark plug and coil.  Having it detailed today.  Have an appt. this afternoon at the dealership to see what they will give me.  I'm expecting them to lowball me. From looking at craigslist and eBay and Kelly BB, looks like it should be worth somewhere between $6-8K.    I figure if they offer me $5k I will take it for sure, $4k maybe but who knows what they'll offer.

I'm worried about trying to sell it myself.  I'm a single Mom and don't relish the idea of dealing with people I don't know from CL or eBay.  I had thought that if someone were interested I'd meet them at a public parking lot somewhere but then my friend asked me what I'd do if they wanted to take it for a test drive.  I dunno?!  Scary!  Wouldn't want to drive with them and if I don't what's to stop them from driving off with the car?  Anyone have any experience with this?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
bahbahd
Established Contributor

Re: What to do w/old car - trade in? craigslist?

Choose one of: www.motors.ebay.com, CarsDirect.com or AutoTrader.com. Stick with one. You are certain your minivan is worth 8k? Tell the dealer you want 7K, but will take 6.5K or just sell it yourself.

Message 2 of 11
Booner72
Senior Contributor

I sold my car on craigslist in one day. They took a test drive and they came back. I was given 1500 cash and we had so many people calling to come see it. I totally sold it for less than I could have but it had so many miles on it and things were broken. I think it's fine to meet someone at a public place, and as long as you have full coverage, if someone steals the car, then the insurance company can just write you a check. No, seriously, make sure they leave their child behind as collateral.
STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 3 of 11
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Negotiate with the dealer on the trade amount. It may take a couple hours, but will be worth it.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 4 of 11
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I use craigslist also.  Never had any problems.  But I never go by myself and ALWAYS to a public place. 

Message 5 of 11
electra
Established Contributor

Well...the dealer offered me $2k...HAH!   I thanked them for their time and left.  I talked to a guy who has a post on CL looking for Toyota minivans.  He said he'd pay me $3k sight unseen for any condition so...no thanks Mr. Dealer, if I can't sell it myself I'll just sell it to that guy.

I'm going to post it on CL and hope for the best.  I don't really have anyone who can go with me but I'll only show it in a public place.   Figure if they want to go for a test drive I'll require their car keys and driver's license.  

Message 6 of 11
electra
Established Contributor

Update:  SOLD!

What a super annoying experience that was!!  So glad it's over.  Sold it for $4k through Craigslist. I could have gotten more (had 3 others begging me to buy it) but in the end I just wanted to be done with it and stop the phone calls and scam offers.  I met the guy at a Wells Fargo close to my house.   He tried to pull a fast one and give me $100 less....I was pissed.  Told him to take his money and go (this was after a bunch of negotiations and I had come down quite a bit on the price already).   He made up some excuse and handed over the other $100 lickety-split.  

Message 7 of 11
osudelt00
Valued Member

Congrats, I am getting ready to do this myself. I guess I should get ready for the spam and phone calls. 

Starting Score: 550
Current Score EQ: 688 Sep/7/13
Current Score TU: 686 Sep/7/13
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 11
madmann26
Valued Contributor

Nice! Congrats on the sale.

I was going to suggest Carmax but I was also going tell you to be careful as they like to lowball people. Craigslist was going to be my 2nd choice only because of the safety aspect of it.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 9 of 11
C7LT1
New Contributor

I have brought and sold about about 10 cars/motorcycle on Craigslist. It have never taken more than a week or two to sell and most people who want to take a look aready have cash financing in place. You could trade but don't let them steal it from you. My suggestion is to treat it like a separate transaction so they can't try and confuse you with the numbers. 

Another great option is Autotrade.com. They a have free service where you can enter your car and zip code and they will send it out to local dealer who will contact you with a price to buy it from you. This is quick and easy plus you could have it sold within a day. Check it out: https://tradein.autotrader.com/ATPages/TradeInMarketPlace.aspx?zip=85730&LNX=TIMATCSYCCLPTXT

In the garden until June 2018

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.