Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When should I pull my scores?

tag
sekada
Regular Contributor

When should I pull my scores?

I want to take them with me to the dealer -- going Monday -- when should I pull them?  Is today or tomorrow too soon?  Also, I'm planning to apply online as well as in person (possibly) -- how soon should I do the online apps? Don't want to "ding" myself, but I'm anxious to get started Smiley Happy
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: When should I pull my scores?

If you have not done so, and if I was in your situation, I would pull all three reports directly from the CRAs. You can do so for free via annualcreditreport.com. What you see is what they see. If a lender ever came back to you and inquired about this or that from 2005, for example, at least you'll be armed with the information.

I personally would pull each FICO report. Now the scores you see from this site will likely not match the scores you see from the lender. Why? Because many lenders use an auto-enhanced score, or a score that is weighted towards your past automobile-borrowing history. So, if you see a difference, then you'll know why. But at least you can compare your FICO scores to others on this site to see who got approved for what.

Today or Sunday, it won't make too much difference, assuming nothing dramatic happens to your reports between now and then.

When you app for that new car, depending on the CRA, auto and mortgage inquiries count as one under FICO scoring if pulled within a 14 or 30 day window. So, if you apply for 20 loans, you will only get dinged for one inquiry, so as long as the lender codes the inquiry as such (and they usually do).

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: When should I pull my scores?

I filled out an application with Ford and didnt come back for another two weeks. They used the report from 2 weeks ago without any trouble. I believe its good for a month
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.