When should I refinance?

tag
js0319
Established Contributor

When should I refinance?

I have two auto loans that my wife and I financed within the past year:

Capital One - Opened 8/2011 for 72 mos. @ 15.83%

Americredit Financial (GM Financial) - Opened 11/2011 for 60 mos. @ 20%

Any suggestions on how long I should wait to refinance? My wife and I are working on building our FICO scores right now, and we're both in the mid 500's. We have paid all of our payments on time. I was thinking we should wait a year on each of them to show 12 months of timely payments for each, and that would allow time to raise the score too.

Or would you suggest achieiving a certain score first? I'd like to get both rates below below 10%, if possible. Also, any suggestions of companies that would offer more competitve rates? Anyone know if Capital One lower the APR without having to refi?

AMEX PRG - NPSL I AMEX Everyday Preferred - $34.8k I Capital One Venture - $20k I Chase Sapphire Preferred - $25.5k I Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier - $20.7k I Barclay Arrival + - $10k I Capital One Quicksilver - $10k I NFCU Flagship Rewards Visa Signature - $15k I NASA FCU - $10k I Texell FCU Visa - $5k I Chase Freedom - $9.9k I Citi Double Cash - $7.8k I Discover IT - $5k I NFCU CLOC - $15k I Total Unsecured Credit - $188,700

EQ FICO - 714 (5/24/16) I TU FICO - 772 (5/24/16) I EX FICO - 770 (5/24/16)
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: When should I refinance?

I'd go ahead and start looking into a refi ~ you should try to get out from under those interest rates as soon as possible.

In terms of FICO scoring, there isn't any benefit to paying the loans early or doing a refi ~ it actually may lower your score due to inquiries and lower AAoA, but IMO getting a better interest rate outweighs that.

Do you have any credit cards accounts open, and what does your revolving utilization look like ?  

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@js0319 wrote:

I have two auto loans that my wife and I financed within the past year:

@Anonymous One - Opened 8/2011 for 72 mos. @ 15.83%

@Anonymous Financial (GM Financial) - Opened 11/2011 for 60 mos. @ 20%

Any suggestions on how long I should wait to refinance? My wife and I are working on building our FICO scores right now, and we're both in the mid 500's. We have paid all of our payments on time. I was thinking we should wait a year on each of them to show 12 months of timely payments for each, and that would allow time to raise the score too.

Or would you suggest achieiving a certain score first? I'd like to get both rates below below 10%, if possible. Also, any suggestions of companies that would offer more competitve rates? Anyone know if Capital One lower the APR without having to refi?

Some companies will refinance their own loans.  I don't know if Cap One will do this or not.  Knowing Cap One though, I would highly doubt it.  Also, I recently refinanced a loan with GM Financial (used to be Americredit).  Based on my experience with them, they wouldn't even consider a refi of their own loan.  I don't know that you will have a lot of luck though right now with your scores still in the mid 500s.

I would also be worried about the value of your cars.  Did you guys pay enough on these through down payment and/or extra payments that you are not upside down on the cars?  It is hard to refinance when you are upside down.

Do you have a relationship with any credit union?  That is probably your best bet ultimately.  If you can't get a refinance, definitely pay as much towards these loans as you can.  With those interest rates, every extra payment you can make will save you a lot of money long term.  Best of luck.

Message 3 of 17
js0319
Established Contributor

Revoling utilization is pretty high, around 162% - that's due to two CO CC's totalling $3399 on CL of $2100 between both accounts, but that's also solely based on how it's reported to EQ. I am working on settling those accounts to get the balances down to $0, thus lowering my utilization to 0% on revolving accounts (those two CC are the only revolving accounts reporting). I also have a Cap 1 secured card w/ a $300 limit and $0 balance.

Who would you suggest trying to refi through? I know my scores are too low right now to get any decent rates.

AMEX PRG - NPSL I AMEX Everyday Preferred - $34.8k I Capital One Venture - $20k I Chase Sapphire Preferred - $25.5k I Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier - $20.7k I Barclay Arrival + - $10k I Capital One Quicksilver - $10k I NFCU Flagship Rewards Visa Signature - $15k I NASA FCU - $10k I Texell FCU Visa - $5k I Chase Freedom - $9.9k I Citi Double Cash - $7.8k I Discover IT - $5k I NFCU CLOC - $15k I Total Unsecured Credit - $188,700

Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@js0319 wrote:

Revoling utilization is pretty high, around 162% - that's due to two CO CC's totalling $3399 on CL of $2100 between both accounts, but that's also solely based on how it's reported to EQ. I am working on settling those accounts to get the balances down to $0, thus lowering my utilization to 0% on revolving accounts (those two CC are the only revolving accounts reporting). I also have a Cap 1 secured card w/ a $300 limit and $0 balance.

Who would you suggest trying to refi through? I know my scores are too low right now to get any decent rates.

Is your capital one reporting?  you said the other two were the only revolvers reporting.  Is the Cap 1 just new then and hasn't reported yet?

If it were me, I would wait until your Cap 1 is at least 6 months old and your utilization is under 30%.  Until that happens, I don't see much of a chance at a decent rate.  That utilization is absolutely destroying your scores I'm sure.  When you get that under 30%, I would expect to see a huge increase in your scores.

Message 5 of 17
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@js0319 wrote:

Ok ~ the revolving utilization is what is killing your score.  And the CO'd accounts as well.     You may want to also open another credit card account so that you have at least two positive open CC tradelines.

You might want to take a tactical approach to first deal with your revolving util, then tackle the refi ~ your scores should look better after you have paid down those accounts, you might consider negotiating a PFD.    If not then send GW letters once they are paid.

Navy Federal is a great CU to work with, if you can qualify to join.

Message 6 of 17
js0319
Established Contributor

I had two vehicles that were financed through a credit union up until early 2008, until they were both repossessed on the same night. The credit union is reporting to the CRA's, but they both show a $0.

Message 7 of 17
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@js0319 wrote:

I had two vehicles that were financed through a credit union up until early 2008, until they were both repossessed on the same night. The credit union is reporting to the CRA's, but they both show a $0.

Ok, well that makes it more challenging ~ have you tried any GW letters to remove the Repo or late pays on these Auto loans ?

Message 8 of 17
js0319
Established Contributor

I have not. Would I send the GW letter to the credit union and keep my fingers crossed? I've been a little skeptical of doing this because, even though the cars were repo'd in 12/2007, it's reporting as a repo in 3/2008. The reporting on these accounts seems to be about 3 months behind the actual occurrences. I don't want to awaken any giants, especially since the collections for these accounts aren't showing up on either of our CR's. I guess at any time the CA could report these, and I'd have two new collections on my CR, right?

Message 9 of 17
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@js0319 wrote:

I have not. Would I send the GW letter to the credit union and keep my fingers crossed? I've been a little skeptical of doing this because, even though the cars were repo'd in 12/2007, it's reporting as a repo in 3/2008. The reporting on these accounts seems to be about 3 months behind the actual occurrences. I don't want to awaken any giants, especially since the collections for these accounts aren't showing up on either of our CR's. I guess at any time the CA could report these, and I'd have two new collections on my CR, right?

Ok, I assumed that they were paid.  If they are unpaid, I'd leave it alone because it is possible that the CU still has them and might start to come after you.   And yes a CA might pop up anytime as well.

Also I would recommend looking up the SOL for this debt ( prob written contract ) for your state to see where you stand.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.