Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do I start? Who do I apply with?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Where do I start? Who do I apply with?

I am looking to buy a used vehicle to replace my virtually dead one.  I want to entertain a private lender as opposed to dealer financing so that I can look at private sellers and a dealership that doesn't finanace.  Could someone provide me with lenders who might approve me.  Here is my info, all scores pulled from a mortgage lender 45 days ago.  Nothing should have changed since then (did not go through with the mortgage).  They were all within a point of what I purchased here.

TU:  622  EX:  647  EQ:  678

I have a few outstanding collections on old CCs.  I did default on an auto loan in 2004.  I ended up paying off the balance through a collection agency and have the lein release as proof.  Since then I have financed and paid off 2 cars through a "Buy Here Pay Here" dealership.  They only reported to TU.  My total debts are about $5,000 including 1 CC with a balance of $11 with a $200 limit.

Any thoughts of where to apply or how a private auto loan would work?

Thanks,

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
moondog7324
Frequent Contributor

Re: Where do I start? Who do I apply with?

Do you belong to a credit union? I would start there first. Or the bank you use- go in and explain that you would like "pre-approval" before you go auto shopping. It's common now to have your financing established before you shop.
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Where do I start? Who do I apply with?

Autos are not going to be just credit and scores.  Your down payment, income and stability play a role.

What is your income? 

How long on the job?

What is your DTI currently?

How much down and what kind of trade do you have?

Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.