Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who is DCU?

tag
tiffo02
Valued Member

Who is DCU?

I keep hearing people talk about DCU, Who are they? Where are they located? How is their process and do they refi bad credit?

Any other creditors ya'll know of that work with "fair" credit?

My scores are:

Equifax: 613   Transunion: 643   Experian: 622

Auto enhanced:

Equifax 596/649

Transunion: 630/599

Experian:  608/639

Thanks to anyone who replies....I am desperatly searching for any refi options out there right now.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
tonyjones
Valued Contributor

Re: Who is DCU?

@tiffo02 wrote:

I keep hearing people talk about DCU, Who are they? Where are they located? How is their process and do they refi bad credit?

Any other creditors ya'll know of that work with "fair" credit?

My scores are:

Equifax: 613   Transunion: 643   Experian: 622

Auto enhanced:

Equifax 596/649

Transunion: 630/599

Experian:  608/639

Thanks to anyone who replies....I am desperatly searching for any refi options out there right now.

Your scores are too low, you will need to bring it up pass 670 at least before applying for an auto loan through DCU.

Current Fico Scores: (December 2023)
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

DCU is a credit union.  Here is their info- https://www.dcu.org

Your score is like you said on the fair side and will have difficulty getting refinanced.  Did you have a co-signer when you first got the car?

Message 3 of 5
tiffo02
Valued Member

Could anyone possibly recommend any reputable lender that work with people in my situation? My credit union will approve me, with a much better rate than 18%....nothing like the 1.49% I've been seeing others getting, They brought me back down to 8% last time I refied with them......I know people who would cringe at 8% but I would be ecstatic to have 8% compared to 18%......the loan officers at my credit union are honestly just so snobby and judgemental. My experience with them last time when I refied, I swore I would never do business with them again......they did help me, as far as the refi went, they just made me feel very belittled. When I got but at the same time they made me feel shamed like I was standing in a food stamp line. ( Which if you get food stamps and are reading this, no offense.....as long as you need them and aren't cheating the system so you can live off the government without ever needing or wanting a job. )  I seriously felt like I was going to be in tears before I left because I was feeling so judged.......I understand my situation is not ideal. But anyone who brings their interest rate from 13% to 8%.....and it would have been 6% had the car had 1000 miles on it ( which by the way, my car I want refi this time, does have under 100k miles on it, so if I do go with my credit union, they won't be able to do that to me this timeSmiley Happy Anyways, I should have been thrilled that I was approved with a good bit of a change in my rate, but I just wanted to sob because my credit was straight in the toilet. I made so many sacrifices to pull my credit up so I could refi and once it happened.....the loan officers just made me feel like dirt.  I guess you can say I am holding a grudge, but I know that is not how you treat your customers. For example, when I worked at a grocery store, I would have people come through my check out line with a huge buggy of groceries and once it was time to pay, their debit card would decline. Even though in my head, I was furious because now I had to go put all those groceries back on the shelf and be fuming becuase why in the world would someone go grocery shopping, fill a buggy to the rim, when I know that they knew how much money they had before they came to the store. I would still be professional when these instances happened. I would always apologize tell them there must be something wrong with our system and I would never ever let them realized I was angry or act like it was their fault their card was declined. ( I have had my bank put random freezes on my accounts, like if we went out of town and my bank saw charges being made that weren't in normal areas, they would freeze my card and I wouldn't know until I went to a store and it was declined. However, we all know for the majority of the time, if a debit card is declined, it's because theres no money in the account.) Obviously, if your having trouble buying groceries, their credit is probably worse than mine.....and I could never ever treat one of my customers like they were a broke bum.

I just want to know if maybe anyone knows of any online lenders that could help me get a lower rate since I'm sure most of the people here aren't going to be familiar with my local banks, I'm paying 18%.....Since I had no choice to buy this car, I had to or I wouldn't have had any way to work and then I would have lost everything. Wrecking the old one and purchasing this one at a 10% interest different, doubled my car note.......I got 18% with 60 months finanaced. I've made 5 notes so far, So, I really don't want to refi for 60 months, but refi for 48 months, may not lower my note low enough, but idk if they would refi for 60 months again when I currently have 55 payments left.

This is all so confusing. Well, it makes sense to me. It's just hard to explain through these messages unless you've lived with it as I have.  I would just start applying to see what kind of offers, if any I get from lenders but I don't want to run my inquires up, only to be denied and still be stuck in the same note I am now.

I am currently financed with Santander......high interest rate + $10.95 charge every single month if you make your payment any other way by mail......I would mail it to them to save that fee, but honestly I don't have the money for it until it's to late to mail it.....I could of course mail it to them when I did get it, but then it wouldn't get there on time, and my perfect payment history would be ruint.

I just need an affordable car note asap. My husband hurt his arm last month at work. It got caught in a chop saw blade and his dr expects him to be out work for 6 months to 1 year. So, that leaves me trying to pay bills on one income, when our bills are budgeted on 2 incomes. I've got to get a better rate and lower note very soon.

Message 4 of 5
tiffo02
Valued Member

oh and by the way, no I have never had a co signer for any of my cars.....My very 1st car I financed through a small loan company. It cost $2000 and I put $400 down myself.....The second one I got, no cosigner, put $500 down but this car was 11k not 2k so I understand the extra downpayment. However, that car is the repo that falls off next year. That car was the worse mistake of my life ever. The car ran hot 2 days after I bought it.....The dealership "fixed" it and then the engine blew in it two weeks later. My dad is a mechanic but I wasn't going to get free labor from him when I had a warranty so I just got the dealership to fix it when it ran hot and didn't even worry my dad about it. Well, when I called my dad to come tow me when I was broke down on the side of the road, he was checking my car out to see if he could get me on the road and found the metal shavings in the oil......I didn't even know that meant engine trouble yet. So I went on to explain to him how it had ran hot a week or two ago and he said thats what caused the engine to blow......warped the head and the motor hanging on by a thread until it just broke on me. That warranty was only good for 1 month. The engine blew 6 weeks after purchase of course. Also, the mechanics at the dealership agreed that when the car ran hot, which when it ran hot it was under warranty, that caused the heads to warp and gradually blow the engine. So, it was a cause and effect for the engine blowing. And the cause ( car running hot) happened while it was under warranty.....They still wouldn't fix it. I was starting a college and as a reward I traded my perfectly fine car in for a slightly classier car....that I owed 11k on and broke down 6 weeks later.

The dealership screwed a 18 year old girl that was dumb and excited about a new car.

However, once everything happened, I took an additional loan out from a small finanace company  so I could fix the engine. My dad had a friend that "specialized" in those cars, so he passed the job to him. Well, it took him about 3 months to fix my car, when he originally told me I could pick my car up in about 2 weeks. Which was understandable to me. It wasn't a shop. He was a backyard mechanic like my dad. I trust anyone my dad tells me is ok to work on cars. Anyways, this guy fixes my car after it took 6 times as long as he quoted me. I drive it for a week, and it breaks again. The guy comes checks it and says it jumped time.....Got it back to his shop and he says no, it's the engine, but for me not to worry because the engine he got for me had a warranty.......this time this guy gave me the run around when my car would be fixed for 3 months until finally I just told him send the engine back and give me my money back. He said ok, and would never answer the phone again after I got my car towed from his shop. During this time, I kept all notes up on the car note,  my insurance payments, plus the additional loan I took out to fix the car with(that never got fixed) I paid every single penny back. Once I realized my car would never get fixed, I had to quit paying for it....By the time the finance company sent it to collections/repo or whatever I had paid the balance for the car from 11k to 7k.....just doing everything I could to not ruin my credit. Plus all the money i wasted on full coverage insurance month after month because I kept being promised my car would be fixed any day.....plus the additonal loan I took out and paid a man to fix it, all for a car I got about 4 weeks of use out of... I just didn't know what else to do.

Please keep in mind when all of this happened I was 18 years old, earning .50 more than minimum wage so it took everything I had to pay for all this- just trying my best not to ruin my credit. But that eneded up happening anyways. (Thank God this repo falls off in 1 yeear and 1 monthSmiley Happy What was weird though was that after all of that, the repo man finally came after I quit paying for about 4 months ( I called the finance company and told them they could pick it up as soon as I decided to give up on it and just deal with the consequences) but they still didn't send someone for a good while. They showed up at my house at about 11pm to pick the car up, which was at my dads house. I gladly gave them his address to go pick it up from and when they got to it, they told my dad they had to come back the next day to pick it up because it was starting to sprinkle outside? ( If that's the case, idk why they even went to pick it up) So a week goes by and they still haven't ever came back so I call them to see when they were coming and the guy never gave me a straight answer......6 years later, the car is still in my dads back yard. Idk what to do with.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.