cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who should I pay back? Drive Financial or the Collection Agency?

tag
CLG

Who should I pay back? Drive Financial or the Collection Agency?

I am preparing to pay off a auto debt on my credit report.  Here's the latest scenario.  The original debt was with Drive Financial (the car was repossed in 2007), at that time, they stated that I owed $6,881.00.  Then a CA mailed me a letter stating they would settle for 50%.  Now Santander, who apparently purchased Drive Financial recently reported that the debt was a loss and write off and that I owe $12,300.  Currently, it looks like there are TWO accounts in collections/write-off. 

So, here are my questions: 

#1)  Who should I pay to get this off my credit?  The CA or call the # I had for Drive? 
#2)  How do I get duplicate accounts corrected on my report, when the orginial account is sold and now with a Collections Agency? 

Thanks!  

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
CLG

Re: Who should I pay back? Drive Financial or the Collection Agency?

BTW:  I don't want to call anyone until I have the money to settle for 50% of the reported $6,881.  I was told by a mortgage loan officer one time that if you speak to someone before you have the money ready and you're prepared to negotiate and pay on the spot that they can later use a conversation against you, stating that you acknowledged the debt.  With Santander reporting a $12K + balance, I don't want anyone getting this confused.  I'm not acknowledging that debt at all.  And after my experience with Drive, I don't trust them at all!  They are scandalous!
Message 2 of 4
Creditobsessed12
Frequent Contributor

This is really scary!  I recently got my auto loan with them!!! Smiley Sad
11/30/14 EQ 545 TU 573 EX 602 01/15 EQ 545 TU 586 EX 589
02/15 EQ 643 TU 627 EX 669 03/05/2015 EQ 708 TU 744 EX 707
05/2017 EQ 659 TU 676 EX 683
Goal: 700s across the board Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 4
CLG

Elizabethd1012:  As long as you pay them on time every month you should be fine.  If you're score is low and that is why you secured a loan with them, I suggest doing what you can to get your score higher and refinancing in a few months or a year from now so your not under them any more.  The reason why I suggest that is because their interest rates are extremely high.  Getting the lowest rate is in your best interest if you are trying to reduce debt and increase your credit score, plus you'll have more money in your pocket to spend on other things.   

I learned the hard way.  Smiley Happy 

Good Luck! 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.