Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will I approve for a new auto loan?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Will I approve for a new auto loan?

You should definitely wait if you can and pay down the cards with high balances. I can tell you from experience that this will make a world of difference in your score and therefore your interest rate. I was in the same situation a year ago and I applied for an auto loan with high utilization on my cards. I got a rate of 20%+. Over the course of a year I paid my cards down and now I have a rate of 5.19%.

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you everyone for all these wonderful answers and advice!!!

let's just say i have $4000 dollars.

Would it make a difference which one i pay off first? Credit card or the loan? How does the creditor see this?

Message 12 of 13
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

Paying down or paying off the credit cards will be the best. FICO scores installment loans as a much smaller part of the equation and paying it down or off will have little impact on scoring. Just pay the installment payments on time. If you have extra money you could add it to the installment payment just to reduce your overall outlay on interest.

And don't forget to hold something back as the auto dealer will probably require a down payment. The more down payment available for the car will help overcome other credit weaknesses.

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.