Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will I be able to get an auto loan?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will I be able to get an auto loan?

My brother recently asked me to help co-sign for a car loan through a dealership.   I decided to try and help him and now wish I never made that mistake.  He was denied by at least seven different banks, and apparently they are counting this against me too as a co-signer.  He had some delinquent payments that stopped him from being approved and I too received several letters saying that I was not approved for the loans.  Just last week (which was a little over a month since the car credit debacle) I went to Best Buy to get a washer and dryer and was denied credit from them and they couldn't tell me why I was denied. A few days later I received a letter saying I was denied because of too many recent inquiries.  Furious and really concerned, I then went to check my credit from the three credit bureaus and found that Transunion has 7 recent inquiries listed all for the car loans that this guy at the dealership apparently tried obtaining a loan through.  Experian had four recent transactions and Equifax only had one.  Of course, Best Buy used Transunion as their credit reporting company and that is probably why I was denied. 

I have quite a few things I need to know...BTW my Fico score through Equifax is 761 and only has one recent  inquiry

1.  Why isn't it all considered one transaction since it was within 14 days and was all for an automobile?

2.  I never signed anything for all of this to go on my credit...If I had known I got denied even once I would have never continued with as a potential cosigner......can they do this or can I dispute it?

3.  Will I be able to get a car loan in the next month or so, because my current lease is about to expire?

4.  Should I obtain my Transunion FICO score to see how much lower it is?  (don't want to waste my money if not needed)

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Will I be able to get an auto loan?

1- it is 1 transaction for purposes of effecting your FICO score. Each seperate inquiry does still sho wup though and that could easily fool automated programs. Also not enough time has passed from ING to present they may not be sure if you have been approved somewhere and it just has not shown up.

2- You never signed a credit report, or gave verbal approval for them to do so? How did they get your SSN?

3- Probably- as both you will be closing a Auto Trade line to open another, and you will not have the albatross that is your brother around your neck with this loan app.

4- I doubt your score has dropped that severely based only on car loan inquiries, you may wish to get a copy of your report.

When you agrreed to cosign, you agreed to let the finance company submit your data to banks and to attempt to structure the deal in different ways to get it bought,

Unless you signed no credit application, and gave no approval to be on the loan, you are kind of stuck with the byproducts of this attempt.

Regardless- any "damage" will be more or less corrected by the passage of time in a few months.

Message 2 of 4
marty56
Super Contributor

In 1 year they wont count at all.  Considering the usual fate of someone who co-signs for a loan, you got off cheap.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 3 of 4
203bravo
Established Contributor

@marty56 wrote:

In 1 year they wont count at all.  Considering the usual fate of someone who co-signs for a loan, you got off cheap.

Never a truer word was spoken  Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.