Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will I get approved?

tag
Silviaspeck
Valued Member

Will I get approved?

hello everyone. I have been lurking here for quite some time now and took on great advices so far. Thanks for that!

Now I have a question myself. I searched and couldn't really find anyone with similar situation...

i am in need of a car and looked around. When I say need, although I live in nyc, my job requires me to travel further and public transportation is becoming too rough Now.

with the weather in NYC and other personal reasons, I think I have my mind set on a 2013 subaru wrx going for around 26k. I have around 3-4k down and don't really want to dip in to my savings. 

my fico is at 660 with no baddies when I checked few days ago and currently making 72-75k a year and have been at the current employer for over 2 years. 

I am renting and paying around $800 myself. Problem is, I have a thin credit file. Only 1 year of history with 3 cc (1 capital one secured @600, another unsecured at $500 and discover card with $1500). 

Will I get approved for a loan? I figured loan amount will be around 26-27k after my down payment due to taxes and other charges. If I do get approved how high of interest am I looking at? Also can I refinance 6 months to a year after to reduce my interest rate?

thanks in advance everyone!

ps. Sorry for any typo, punctuation or grammar.... Typing on my phone right now...

Starting Score: 597
Current Score: 732
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
infoseek2012
Established Member

Re: Will I get approved?

I applied with my current credit union and with Capital One.  My credit union approved us with $80K in documented income with credit scores of 665 and 699.  72 months at 3.49 interest.  Loan amount $35000.

Capital one gave us 72 months at 3.65 percent.  Loan amount $38400.

We had a string of bads on our mortgage which ended 4 months ago.  One car loan which is a couple of years old and a couple of credit cards.  I was really surprised with the approvals we received.

Based on your score and if you don't have a bunch of red flags, Capital One might be a good place to start.  We got our approvals and will be negotiating with the dealer next week to see if they can do even better.

The credit union was originally going to give us 6.49 because they wanted to add 3 percent more due to us being considered "high risk" because we have a mortgage modification.  I would have walked and pulled my other loan and refinanced it at another bank if they had done that.

Maybe this will give you some insight - good luck!

BTW I LOVE NYC and will be going there right after the New Year for a vacation!  It's an annual tradition for our family!  Just hoping the subways are back in action.......  Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 10
Silviaspeck
Valued Member

Hey info thanks for your reply. I hope you enjoy nyc as well!

However the situation is a bit different from you and I as you already have had auto loan and a mortgage in the past as I have just a year worth of limited history.... Any insight?

Message 3 of 10
infoseek2012
Established Member

Although your credit file is thin, you do have a year of payment history under your belt.  Also you have stable employment that has exceeded 1 year.  Score isn't in the dumps.  You have decent income too so your DTI is very low. 

With Capital One, you do the app online but they don't ask for down payment info.  I think they just look for the clean history and good DTI ratio.  You put in the requested amount and they come back with an approval based on your credit report and stated income.  The only thing I had to provide once the app came back as approved were a couple of bank statements and a pay stub.  That's because I have self employment income.  You may only have to provide a pay stub.

You also have a Capital One credit card, so they might factor that in as well.  BTW is your score from EQ or another "official" score provider?  I've read all over the place that the "free" ones aren't always accurate.  I know my free one was much different than my offical one!

I'm sure others will chime in on your thread as well.

Message 4 of 10
Silviaspeck
Valued Member

The score was purchased directly from myfico. Thanks for the help info! Anyone else have any thoughts in to my situation?

Message 5 of 10
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

I think you have a very good chance of getting approved based on the info provided. How is your Uti? Do you pay off your balance on your cards in full every month? Or are they maxed out? Is the 660 your true fico score from this site or is it a fako, meaning Equifax, Experian, Transunion. My fako scores are lower than my ficos by up to 50 points. When lenders pull my score, I've found they are much more accurate based on my fico rather than my fako.

Your AAOA is limited but as long as you have no baddies, I think you will be fine. Try Capital One first and let us know what the verdict is. Are you a recent college grad? If so, dealers sometimes have great offers for recent college grads.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 6 of 10
Silviaspeck
Valued Member

My util is pretty low. My total credit lines with 3 cc is at 2700 and I carry balance of maybe 200? I will pay it all off before I apply and wait till it hits the bureaus.

And yes it is the true fico score purchased from this site.

Message 7 of 10
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

You are in a very good position. I say you'll be approved just fine. Let us know how it goes! Smiley Happy
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 8 of 10
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Hello Sylvia,

Should be fine.  May even want to see if you can find a new 2012 still on the lots at a dealership, dealers will want to rid of it and that can help both in price and financing.  December is a great time to be shopping as soon as the New Year rings in, it's not quite possible to sell a 2012 model as new anymore at least from a marketing perspective.

If this is your first financed car, then you likely will want to refinance as you suggest later; however, you're in a reasonable position for financing a new car anyway from what you describe.  If you belong to any CU's or even have a solid banking relationship with a national bank, may want to check with them first; just don't start shopping for a car loan until you're ready to pull the trigger on the car so that all the auto inquiries will be rolled up into one from a scoring perspective.

Also you're really not that thin of a file with 3 revolving accounts and a year's credit history.  If you need the car I'd take any loan I could get approved for in your situation, and then refinance... which is exactly what I did with a far worse credit file than you, and I'm sitting at a 5.74% APR loan now so a reasonable rate can be obtained even if you get stuck with an initial double-digit APR loan to start.

        
Message 9 of 10
Silviaspeck
Valued Member

Hey thanks for your reply.

Yes the oldest is 1 year and the other 2 are 6 months old. I figured I will be charged with high apr IF I get approved but I was planning to refinance 6 months to 1 year later (another topic I guess) but I just wanted to see how good of a chance I had to get approved.

I will probably be looking to shop comes on February or march as I want to put some more on to my savings so that I can maintain an emergency 6 months funds god forbid something happens.

I am super excited though I can't wait till feb or march to start shopping around Smiley Happy I test drove my friends wrx and fell in love with it... I wish I can afford STI but I know where I stand and can afford/approved. Lol.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.