cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will existing auto loan(soon to be traded in) affect loan approval amount?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will existing auto loan(soon to be traded in) affect loan approval amount?

I plan on selling, either by trade in or private sale, my current car. It has 11 of originally a 16.6 loan left on it. The car is 100% going to be gone one way or another, even if I have to take a small loss on it.
I have it financed with my CU and likely will end up staying with this same CU for the new loan (unless research pulls up some other CU, preferably a non auto fico 5 or experian one).
When they approve the new loan, will they factor in that my current auto loan is going to be nonexistent? Or will they say, hey, you've got a 330 car payment already, we don't think you can afford two separate payments of 300 for a car....rejected.

If it helps your answer any, my paystubs at the time of the loan app will probably be reflecting around 46K salary. I'll have my all my CC's balances but one at 0, with 1 reporting under 10%. And I have a student loan at its full 13k amount, but payments deffered(don't know if that factors into DTI since no payments required)
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Will existing auto loan(soon to be traded in) affect loan approval amount?

@Anonymous wrote:
I plan on selling, either by trade in or private sale, my current car. It has 11 of originally a 16.6 loan left on it. The car is 100% going to be gone one way or another, even if I have to take a small loss on it.
I have it financed with my CU and likely will end up staying with this same CU for the new loan (unless research pulls up some other CU, preferably a non auto fico 5 or experian one).
When they approve the new loan, will they factor in that my current auto loan is going to be nonexistent? Or will they say, hey, you've got a 330 car payment already, we don't think you can afford two separate payments of 300 for a car....rejected.

If it helps your answer any, my paystubs at the time of the loan app will probably be reflecting around 46K salary. I'll have my all my CC's balances but one at 0, with 1 reporting under 10%. And I have a student loan at its full 13k amount, but payments deffered(don't know if that factors into DTI since no payments required)

they will factor that you are trading it in and if it's your current cu financing old and new car if they are concerned about it they will just want verification with the loan docs for new car that it shows trading in old.

wouldn't worry about it.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Will existing auto loan(soon to be traded in) affect loan approval amount?

Will that work for any CU? I plan on atleast looking into DCU now from what I've read, they nay be even lower than my current CU.If I app and they say something like 'only 10k for you, you have a high dti' will I be able to just tell them the cars gonna be sold and they'll adjust ?
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.