Did you mean: 

Will i qualify for an Auto Loan?

tag
bahbahd
Established Contributor

Re: Will i qualify for an Auto Loan?

@blazin4credit wrote:

@Luscher wrote:
with short credit history you may need a down payment but they go by score, and 700 is tier 1 (for toyota at least)

How much of a down payment do you suspect i may need? the car im looking to purchase is about $26,000

You should look up the 20/4/10 rule.    https://www.google.com/search?q=20%2F4%2F10+rule   

20% down, four year loan (max), with total monthly payments/costs of 10% or less (ideally less) of monthly gross income.  Generally I would say at minimum you want to put down enough of a down payment needed to avoid having to pay any GAP insurance.  So, about $5,000 down in your case.

Message 11 of 13
blazin4credit
Established Member

@bahbahd wrote:

@blazin4credit wrote:

@Luscher wrote:
with short credit history you may need a down payment but they go by score, and 700 is tier 1 (for toyota at least)

How much of a down payment do you suspect i may need? the car im looking to purchase is about $26,000

You should look up the 20/4/10 rule.    https://www.google.com/search?q=20%2F4%2F10+rule   

20% down, four year loan (max), with total monthly payments/costs of 10% or less (ideally less) of monthly gross income.  Generally I would say at minimum you want to put down enough of a down payment needed to avoid having to pay any GAP insurance.  So, about $5,000 down in your case.

Thanks alot for the advice im sure some others will benefit from this information. The 20% down rule is advice i see used alot in various places i have seen searching for more information. The four year loan and 10 percent rule is one i have not come accross but should be helpful in evaluating my purchase. I was really looking for a 5 year loan because of the lesser payments but i will look to calculate both terms. Thanks

Starting Score: 12-22-13 529 EQ (FAKO) 529 TU (FAKO) 598 (FAKO) EX

Current Score: 12-30-13 725 EQ (FICO) 741 TU(FICO) 722 (FICO) EX
Goal Score: 800+ for all three bureaus

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 13
Luscher
Valued Contributor

how much you should put down is dependent on how much the dealer makes/wants you to put down in my opinion, especially if you get the 0 percent. But typically the more you put down the lower your monthly payment is. You really just need to go in there and see what they offer, if you don't like what the dealer offers, they can pull other banks for you, or you can go to a CU for a better rate.
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.