Regular Contributor
Denny33142

With my credit profile, Buy or Lease?

[ Edited ]

I am looking to get a new car but i have no prior experience as i have never financed or leased a car.

Basically what i am looking at is a Hyundai Elantra Coupe which are valued at around 18K brand new.

I am leaning towards leasing because the monthly payments are a lot lower and i like the idea of having a new car every 2 years, However i have also heard that it is a lot harder to lease then to finance.

If i decide to buy should i seek the auto loan myself directly from a bank (like Capital One) or should i just go straight to the dealer and have them find a bank for me instead? The less down i have to give the better but if i need to i can give up to 8K down which would only bring the loan to 10K.

My credit score right now is around 650-660 and i have an income of around $2200 a month, It is worth noting that i am 23 and live in Miami so  insurance is likely to be very high.

Any answers are appreciated, I am looking to get this done by the end of the month.

Moderator Emeritus
webhopper

Re: With my credit profile, Buy or Lease?

Hyndai financing is actually one of the better financing programs from what I've heard. They also have promotions going on such as $159/month for 24 months with $1999 due at signing.

They also have the college grad program:

If you’re graduating in the next six months, or you graduated within the past two years, you can buy any new Hyundai with:

• No down payment required
• An additional $400 on top of current Hyundai rebates*
• Ninety days until the first payment (note: not available in the states of CT and PA)

Valued Owner Coupon

If you are currently a registered owner of a vehicle distributed by Hyundai Motor America, you can receive an additional $750 off a new 2013 Hyundai Elantra Coupe. Offer cannot be combined with Competitive Owner Coupon.

Competitive Coupon

If you are currently a registered owner of a qualifying competitive vehicle, you can receive an additional $750 off a new 2013 Hyundai Elantra Coupe. See your local dealer for program details and list of qualifying competitive vehicles. Offer cannot be combined with Valued Owner Coupon

Starting Score: 08/29/2011 TU 671 EQ 674
Current Score: TU 754 EQ 694 EX 697
Wallet: NFCU Visa Sig 25k, Amex Lowes 22k, NavCheck 15k, Amex PRG, Amex Zync, Discover It 13.5k, Amazon Visa 5k
Platinum Spade Garden Club Member: App Free since 1/1/13. No more apps til who knows when?
MyFICO Fitness Goal: 800s Club!

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Moderator Emeritus
webhopper

When it comes to the choice between buying vs. leasing...  I tend towards buying because I drive a lot of miles, and I prefer to keep my vehicles longer... 

not everyone is the same in this regard.

Wallet: NFCU Visa Sig 25k, Amex Lowes 22k, NavCheck 15k, Amex PRG, Amex Zync, Discover It 13.5k, Amazon Visa 5k
Platinum Spade Garden Club Member: App Free since 1/1/13. No more apps til who knows when?

Regular Contributor
Denny33142

Got approved for 18.7K through Capital One @ 8% rate!

What do you guys think? Is that a fair deal considering my score and the fact that i don't have any history with car loans?

Moderator Emeritus
webhopper

In your case, you may get a better deal through Hyndai Finance... but its great that you have a loan pre-approval to walk in the door with. 

let the dealer pull your credit and see if he can do you a better finance deal. Otherwise, 8% seems like a fair, but not exceptional deal.

Regular Contributor
ImprovingYouth

Honestly I think that is a pretty good number, especially considering you are a first time buyer. If you expect to refi any time soon make sure you make a decent down payment and pay extra each month!

Age: 22 //Cards: Chase Freedom, Chase Amazon Visa, Discover IT, CreditOne, CapOne Quicksilver, CapOne Cash, Walmart, Barclaycard, Citibank BestBuy, NavyFederal Visa Signature cashRewards //AAoA: 1 Year 3 Months (but going down quickly :smileytongue:) //CK:692, Sesame:656
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

I've been browsing the forums for a while, and I have seen a disturbing-yet-common trend: people seem to be buying way too much car than they can comfortably afford.  Why on earth would one want to put themselves $19K in debt for a new car if they make $2200 a month?  A car payment on that would be $600 a month or so at 8%, no?  I realize that most people need a car, but why try to max out your outlay every month?

I would hope you have, at the minimum, $5k for emergencies saved (cash), and you are putting 15% towards some sort of retirement fund.  Please take my advice that a new car is not worth sacrificing your financial stability.  I see so many of my friends doing the same thing, and it's a 50/50 crapshoot as to when they will miss a payment due to the inevitable "life happening" occurrence.

That being said, I also believe new cars are a huge waste of money, and have never purchased one in my 24 years of owning cars.

Am I crazy?

Starting Score 9/2011: 600ish all 3 bureaus
Current Score 5/2013: 675 EQ, 699 TU, EX ?
Goal Score: 730 min for all 3 by mid 2014...save $40K more for a new house, $10K more for emergencies, pay off all credit cards. Simple, right? :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
blondy250

[ Edited ]

Flying_Spaghetti_Monster wrote:

I've been browsing the forums for a while, and I have seen a disturbing-yet-common trend: people seem to be buying way too much car than they can comfortably afford.  Why on earth would one want to put themselves $19K in debt for a new car if they make $2200 a month?  A car payment on that would be $600 a month or so at 8%, no?  I realize that most people need a car, but why try to max out your outlay every month?

I would hope you have, at the minimum, $5k for emergencies saved (cash), and you are putting 15% towards some sort of retirement fund.  Please take my advice that a new car is not worth sacrificing your financial stability.  I see so many of my friends doing the same thing, and it's a 50/50 crapshoot as to when they will miss a payment due to the inevitable "life happening" occurrence.

That being said, I also believe new cars are a huge waste of money, and have never purchased one in my 24 years of owning cars.

Am I crazy?

You're not crazy, its because people live beyond their means, and cars are a status symbol you see it on this forum everyday. Members who have terrible credit who brag about leasing a BMW or more recently Acuras, who by there own income and credit admissions should be riding a bicycle or taking mass transit.

MyFico 4/18/14
Experian-820, Equifax-834, Transunion (Discover)--850-- 7/6/14
Aaoa-9yrs, Oldest-14yrs
1 inquiry equifax 04 Chase mortgage
"Because your FICO® score is exceptionally high, there are no actionable negative factors present with your score".
Regular Contributor
ImprovingYouth

Flying_Spaghetti_Monster wrote:

Am I crazy?

It depends on what type of cars you are buying. If you are buying honda, hyundai, toyota, etc. then you should always buy used in my opinion. But performance cars are a different realm IMO. I know many people who buy cars RIDE them to hell and trade them in before they conk out. Used cars can be a bit of a gamble, but as long as you cover yourself with a warrenty I think they are well worth the money saved!

Age: 22 //Cards: Chase Freedom, Chase Amazon Visa, Discover IT, CreditOne, CapOne Quicksilver, CapOne Cash, Walmart, Barclaycard, Citibank BestBuy, NavyFederal Visa Signature cashRewards //AAoA: 1 Year 3 Months (but going down quickly :smileytongue:) //CK:692, Sesame:656
Valued Contributor
MovingForward_2012

I hate the maintenance costs involved with purchasing. I just leased my first car. Yes it is an Acura. Can I afford it? Of course I can.

I put so much money into my Nissan that I traded in for a brand new Acura, and the stupid car still died at 106K miles with $2500 requested for repairs. I had enough! Now all my maintenance is rolled in the lease so I just drop the car off and pick it up after routine maintenance without being charged and my lease runs concurrent with the warranty. The added plus is I get to drive a luxury car for cheaper and I'm able to drive a brand new 2016 Acura in 3 years. I have 15K miles per year and what is not used, is rolled into my next lease. I'm still under 5K on the ODO, which means I have 10K more miles I can drive until Nov. I know I won't get to 15K by Nov which means a road trip is in my future.

I've financed many cars in my life....no leases until now. I got tired of the maintenance, repairs, and negative equity. I have a worthless POS Dodge Stratus that is paid off and broke down in the garage. It is worth less than $2000 now as a trade in...more likely $1000 when I paid $23K MSRP for that stupid car in 2004. I bought it brand new so I am the only owner. Cars depreciate so fast such that when you finally pay it off, it isn't worth much.

4 years was the longest I've financed and I planned on riding it until the wheels fell off. I felt that was possible with Nissans as they are more reliable than some vehicles. Wrong! Despite my punctual maintenance and repairs, the stupid car died just a little over the magical 100K mile mark when everything is doomed to go out.

Now I don't worry about any of that. I just drive. And I'm not adding paid off POS cars to sit in my garage collecting dust because they aren't worth anything anymore. On the flip side, the home I just purchased in Feb is already worth $20K more than what I paid for it. When I opened the door to the house for the first time, the home value didn't fall off a cliff like new cars do the minute they are driven off the lot.

I could buy out one of my leases one day but right now I'm happy leasing. I am not sad that I will never own the vehicle as it amounts to less junk that must be kept in the garage because it is barely worth anything. And I don't have to worry about maintenance and repair costs which were a major hit to the savings as that is where the money would come from every time there was a repair needed. Drove me nuts!
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! :smileyhappy: Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}