Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worth it to rate shop with this offer?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Worth it to rate shop with this offer?

I believe I already know the answer to this, but wanted to get an idea if others may have similar experience and insight to possibly even lower rates.

So I have a loan @ 9.9% with CapOne and since my credit score has gone up significantly since that purchase I was instantly approved for 4.19% at my credit union AppleFCU. This is with a 713 score, and my CU will do rate reductions as score reaches higher tiers...but I believe it requires manual review and a hard pull to do so. The refinance would be for 58 months and save me over $100/mo on the current payment without increasing the length of the loan.

That being said, I am happy with the results, but I have access to another fantastic CU for auto loans, NIH CU. I didn't check with them first because Apple is my primary bank and I already had an app pulled for a CLI. But NIH lists some of the lowest rates around, and also offers deferred payments up to 90 days on all loans which is a nice little bonus. Just not sure if it's worth another HP (as I have a lot from a recent but very successful cc app spree).

Thoughts on all this?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Worth it to rate shop with this offer?

It is my understanding that auto loan inquiries count as one HP if they hit within 14 days.  

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Perhaps as far as score is concerned, but it still counts to your total number of inquiries. For example my concern is that when I'm shopping for a mortgage next year and they see 11 instead of say 9 inquiries, maybe that puts me into a new soft tier of "too many inquiries". I dunno, I wish this stuff was easier for people that just want to shop for the best deal.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

You could try calling the bank and ask what rate your score might qualify for.  I also dont think applying for 1 to 2 places more would hurt your mortgage chances a year from now unless you have a large number of INQ's already.  Just be very targeted in who you apply to.

@Anonymous

Message 4 of 6
Method2Madness
Regular Contributor

I had approx. six million inq's when I apped (and was subsequently approved) for a mortgage; It made absolutely NO difference whatsoever. They didn't even bring them up at any point during the process.

This isn't to say you should go out and rack up inq's; but a couple here and there shouldn't hurt.

In RE: to your original question, 4.whatever isn't a bad rate at all. You might be able to get it a bit lower with DCU, but I wouldn't go all crazy app'ing all around for a 1 (ish) point decrease.

Total Available Credit: $145,950   ||Feb 2018||EQ08-705||EX08-728||TU08-741||

Message 5 of 6
EW800
Valued Contributor

I agree that DCU is good to checkout.  I believe they are currently 2.49% for new and used loans, and very easy to join.  Down side is that they do a HP to join and another for the auto loan.  

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 840; EQ8: 832; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.