Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worth trying a refinance?

tag
s2srea

Worth trying a refinance?

Hi everyone. 

So I purchased my vechicle (2016 Kia Sedona) a little under a year ago. My credit was in the low 600's (I think 615's or so)at the time. I received a APR of 10%. I now have a 692 (Trans) / 701 (EF) score. I've since paid off all other debt (about 15k of student loans and CC's (mostly cc's)). My vehicle cash value is currently at 16,600 for trade in value via KBB. I owe 26k on the vehicle. 

Is my LTV worth attempting a refi on my loan?

I am a USAA member and do have access to NFCU if needed.

Thanks for your input. 

20 REPLIES 20
sarge12
Senior Contributor

Re: Worth trying a refinance?

@s2srea wrote:

Hi everyone. 

So I purchased my vechicle (2016 Kia Sedona) a little under a year ago. My credit was in the low 600's (I think 615's or so)at the time. I received a APR of 10%. I now have a 692 (Trans) / 701 (EF) score. I've since paid off all other debt (about 15k of student loans and CC's (mostly cc's)). My vehicle cash value is currently at 16,600 for trade in value via KBB. I owe 26k on the vehicle. 

Is my LTV worth attempting a refi on my loan?

I am a USAA member and do have access to NFCU if needed.

Thanks for your input. 

You owe too much on the vehicle...any lender with a low interest rate will only loan KBB loan value.That will be a little higher than tradein value but you are underwater on this loan. Now if you have the cash to pay the difference it might be a good decision.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 2 of 21
s2srea

Thanks Sarge. I did a pre-qual with Capital One just now (i was doing other reading and stumbled accross that as an option). They approved me for a 6.2% rate. Still not worth pursuing?

Message 3 of 21
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@s2srea wrote:

Thanks Sarge. I did a pre-qual with Capital One just now (i was doing other reading and stumbled accross that as an option). They approved me for a 6.2% rate. Still not worth pursuing?

If they will loan you enough to pay off the loan that is currently at 10%, then that is a no brainer. Normally creditors that are not affiliated with the dealer will only loan you book value, as they do not have the added incentive of making a profit from the sale of the car. If you declare bankruptcy they stand to loose a lot of money and it is just too big a risk. If you are purchasing a New Honda Car for example, Honda finance has a greater incentive, often going as far as paying off a loan you are underwater on, and rolling it over into the new car payment. It is a risk they are willing to take to increase their market share, and it is creating a bubble much like the real-estate bubble that caused the bailout in 2008. Refi lenders simply do not have such an incentive to take on the risk of an underwater loan.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 4 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

You could also try DCU's second chance car loan - they go over the value of the car and rates are much better,

Message 5 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your 10k under water on this car so the likelihood of getting refinanced is pretty much zero, just too much negative equity .  What you could do it look at doing a personal loan or checking line of credit with NFCU for example and then pay down the balance to the point that you could do a regular finance.  You would have to do the math of what the average interest rate is between the two to determine if its worth doing.  What I would do is tighten my budget and make principle payments on the car, as much as you can and then when you get the payoff within 120% of the KBB value refinance with NFCU, DCU or Penfed.  It will save you a ton in interest.  

Message 6 of 21
s2srea

Hey Everyone. Thanks to everyone for the advice. I called DCU and you all were right, they only finance 100% of the retail value. So that wasn't really an option. I called CapitalOne back after the PreQualification (which asked for amount due on the loan among other things) and asked if there was anything that may prevent me from being officially approved. The lady said no (and I took it with a grain of salt, obviously) and moved Forward with the process. I was approved and got a new rate of 6.1% saving me about 3,500 on the life of my loan and lowering my payments by $50. In all, I thought it was a good move. Thanks especially to Sarge for letting me know of the 'no brainer' move. I may have been more cautious otherwise. 

Message 7 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, that is great the Capone did your refi.  Great move for you.  No sense in paying one penny more in interest than you have to.   I would suggest hanging on to that car for a while so you can erase that negative equity, it is very common to have negative equity for the first few years of the loan, its great you were able to lower that APR with it hanging out there.

Message 8 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry about DCU - I was going off their website that they go over.

Capture.JPG

Message 9 of 21
s2srea

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry about DCU - I was going off their website that they go over.

Thanks Myrwyn. I saw their website too and thought the same. I still appreciate the lead! Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.