Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

auto fico question

tag
Tomgon1981
Frequent Contributor

auto fico question

Why is my Auto fico 8 score so much lower then my fico score I mean not much its only about 25 points but how do I get my Auto fico 8 score up most quickly for an Auto loan around October my fico score is 645 but auto fico 8 score is only 625
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
MarvBear
Established Member

Re: auto fico question

That's fairly typical of an auto enhanced score from my observations over the years 

Message 2 of 9
Tomgon1981
Frequent Contributor

Everything I read says your auto enhanced scores should be way higher then your traditional fico scores
Message 3 of 9
CreditDrama85
Established Contributor

the auto fico weighs installment loans heavily (not just auto loans). i dont know what your profile is like but if you have any late or charged off installment loans (mortgage, student, bank loans etc.) thats why your auto fico would be a little lower. the only way to raise it IMO is positive installment history. if you want to purchase or lease auto within the next 6 months continue paying on time and pay down any credit cards and you might see a small rise. If you want to purchase or lease more than 6 months out you can look into a small installment loan from your bank or credit union, and let them know you are willing the secure the loan with a CD if needed.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same issue, auto version much lower than the primary score. I do not understand why as I have had nothing but positive history with installment loans including auto loans. I do have derogatory credit cards but no derogatory installment loans. I actually show many installment loans paid and closed and two open installment loans always paid on time. This makes no sense to me, all of the positive history for installment loans and I still get a terrible auto score. Something just doesn't seem right.

Message 5 of 9
Tomgon1981
Frequent Contributor

Same here I have a great payment history with installment and auto loan history I actually have a auto loan thru my cu that I've had for 3 years and been excellent with payments I'm sure they'll approve me when I'm ready to buy I do have a few baddies on record one is old phone bill one is medical bill and one is a apartment lease broken all was 3-5 yrs ago so I don't know if that would affect any of it as I currently have multiple cc's with low balances my scores are lower due to new credit in past 16 months and the old chargeoffs I just didn't think it would affect my auto enhanced scores that much
Message 6 of 9
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Tomgon1981 wrote:
Same here I have a great payment history with installment and auto loan history I actually have a auto loan thru my cu that I've had for 3 years and been excellent with payments I'm sure they'll approve me when I'm ready to buy I do have a few baddies on record one is old phone bill one is medical bill and one is a apartment lease broken all was 3-5 yrs ago so I don't know if that would affect any of it as I currently have multiple cc's with low balances my scores are lower due to new credit in past 16 months and the old chargeoffs I just didn't think it would affect my auto enhanced scores that much

I bet the broken apartment lease is what is killing your auto enhanced scores.

Message 7 of 9
Tomgon1981
Frequent Contributor

Its almost paid off they wouldn't pfd so I hope that'll help out
Message 8 of 9
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@StartingOver10 wrote:

I bet the broken apartment lease is what is killing your auto enhanced scores.

Gotta be something...

When I bought my car in Jan my EQ FICO was 691... auto enhanced 707.  It's the 3rd auto loan I've had since 2009 to go with my student loans.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.