Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

auto loan/ help credit score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

auto loan/ help credit score

I just found out that the loan company I went through hasn't reported my loan. I contacted them and they said it would take around 45 days to show up on my credit report. My question is, I've had this loan for shear now and have never been late, how much should I expect to see my score go up?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: auto loan/ help credit score

@Anonymous wrote:
I just found out that the loan company I went through hasn't reported my loan. I contacted them and they said it would take around 45 days to show up on my credit report. My question is, I've had this loan for shear now and have never been late, how much should I expect to see my score go up?

When was this loan taken out? and from where?

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had the loan for a year now through a dealer and it's not on my credit report at all. It was a mistake on their part. So now when it shows up on my credit, I've paid on time every time for the year. How much will my score go up now? I'm trying to buy a house.
Message 3 of 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
I've had the loan for a year now through a dealer and it's not on my credit report at all. It was a mistake on their part. So now when it shows up on my credit, I've paid on time every time for the year. How much will my score go up now? I'm trying to buy a house.

Did you apply already for the mortgage? Did your lender make any comments about your DTI? I ask because once it reports, it'll report with a monthly payment. Your lender will add that figure into your debt-to-income ratio (DTI) and that could hinder your ability to get a loan, or get a smaller loan to offset that additional expense. YMMV based on your financial situation, but you might not want to have it report. On the otherhand, if your lender wants it to report because you are lacking reporting tradelines, then you'd need it to report to get approved.

Per FICO scoring, the answer is: it depends. Not a clear answer, I know. It's likely you won't see much, if any gain at all. Installment per mix of credit is a very small part of FICO scoring. In some cases, this loan could hinder your score. For example, it is one year old. If all of your other accounts, on average, are older than one year, you could see a drop in score because the average age of all of your accounts (AAoA) would drop with this newer account reporting. A lower AAoA can ding your credit. You'd have to do some math to see the impact. Also, if there's the possibility that this account is less than one year old (e.g. 10 months), then you can see an additional drop once it reports. FICO dings based on new credit and the impact will vary from person to person. It wears off usually by the one-year anniversary though.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, I didn't apply for the mortgage yet. I had a lack of credit. I assumed that since that was a big problem for me, finding out that I have this loan I've paid on perfectly for a year would've jumped my credit up alot.... I'm almost ready to give up. These credit scoring companies should be illegal....
Message 5 of 6
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Hang in there.  I agree with you this is pure torture.  but it's worth it to own your own home! 

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.