Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

best time of year to buy car??

tag
treschic
Frequent Contributor

best time of year to buy car??

is there a better time of year to purchase a new car or a used car?  i read an article somewhere that recommended buying towards the end of the month in the middle of the week (i think), but definently not a friday/sat/sun, due to the salespeople needing to make their "quota" for the month.  anyone else have any suggestions?
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: best time of year to buy car??

Last day of the month, doesn't matter what day it is. And if you can time it till the fall right after the next years models hit the sales floor is even better.
Message 2 of 10
treschic
Frequent Contributor

thanks!! i never even thought about that.  BTW, how can i find out in advance when the models should be coming out?? do i just check the website?
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, just check the dealer's website to see if they have the new line on their lot.

It depends on the car and when they feel like throwing it out there for consumer purchase. I would say the bulk of them are usually late August thru September, but some weird ones pick an unusual date and throw them out there sometimes a good 6 months before the year hits.
Message 4 of 10
marty56
Super Contributor

For me the best time of the year to buy is when DW finally agrees that I can get one.  I just got a new car on Thursday.  Her birthday is Aug 13 and I have been droping hints about it being a very good year for birthday gifts which may have had something to do with it.

Besides end of the month, around Labor Day is also good.

Message Edited by marty56 on 06-16-2008 06:46 AM
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best time is to buy the old model at the end of the month Aug-Oct.

The best time to sell your car is probably Jan-May (before the new model year comes out and your car devalues another years worth)
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

i watched a commercial advertising the 2009 nissan quest  this was back in January 2008
Message 7 of 10
keithc
Regular Contributor

NOW<NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! some places are giving cash back!!!(Ford for ex) get an o8 before the 09's come out!!!!
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

The best time to lease is probably June.  That is when the car companies are giving the best incentives to get rid of the last year models.  Once July/August come out they are concentrating on financing for the new models.  At that point, it is up to the dealer to get aggressive in getting rid of cars.  I got a great deal in 8/05 but that was because the dealer had a ton of inventory on the lot and had to move his product.  This time,  I decided to make sure that I got the exact model/color that I wanted, so I am looking to finance in June.  If you don't care about financing and are purchasing a car, I would wait until August.  You just have to be less choosy when it comes to models/colors.
Message 9 of 10
treschic
Frequent Contributor

well, i'm actually looking at the '09 nissan murano. and i was just told that the murano's are a little different from most cars due to being actually produced in japan and the '10 models probably wont be out until 2010. so, i wont have the luxary of waiting for the new model year to come out.  but, i did see some really great prices at carmax.  anyone knowof any disadvantages of carmax? the dealers i've seen seem to be charging 4k+ more than carmax's prices (their price is 2k <msrp). and i looked into the '07 (since no '08 model came out), and its only a little less than the '09 at carmax.  which, really is making me seriouslly consider the '09 there, but i'm not sure if they follow that same trend of reducing prices at the end of the month, and at the end of the year.  any advice?
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.