cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

better to pay off auto loan or leave a small balance for the remaining of the loan term?

tag
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

better to pay off auto loan or leave a small balance for the remaining of the loan term?

I've had an auto loan for over two years.  I can easily pay off but lately I have been noticing that the minimum payment for the loan has been reduced due to my multiple payments per month.   Not only is the minimum payment lower but payment is NOT REQUIRED for 6-7 months down the road.  

Of course, we know that this is the banks way to keep using paying interest and for interest to catch up. 

My question is whether it is advantageous to keep a small balance reporting  so to keep the auto loan tradeline active and increasing fico scores? 

If the auto loan is paid in full the CR will show account closed paid in full but my understanding is that without an open auto loan tradeline my fico scores will also drop. 

Is there any truth to this?

I'm trying to maintain an INSTALLMENT tradeline to optimize my credit scores.

Discover IT $19,000 == 12/2013
AMEX 12/2013 ---BCP $12,000 === BC $23,000 ----- 04/2014
CHASE SLATE $5,700 === 12/2013
BoA 123 $6000 === 12/2013
Barclay Rewards $1500 == 12/2013
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
ExplicitElicit
Established Contributor

Re: better to pay off auto loan or leave a small balance for the remaining of the loan term?

@Fico2Go wrote:

I've had an auto loan for over two years.  I can easily pay off but lately I have been noticing that the minimum payment for the loan has been reduced due to my multiple payments per month.   Not only is the minimum payment lower but payment is NOT REQUIRED for 6-7 months down the road.  

Of course, we know that this is the banks way to keep using paying interest and for interest to catch up. 

My question is whether it is advantageous to keep a small balance reporting  so to keep the auto loan tradeline active and increasing fico scores? 

If the auto loan is paid in full the CR will show account closed paid in full but my understanding is that without an open auto loan tradeline my fico scores will also drop. 

Is there any truth to this?

I'm trying to maintain an INSTALLMENT tradeline to optimize my credit scores.

Seems like you've already answered your own questions. I would keep it open for history purposes, you know you'll be good on it so might as well let it report and keep your credit "mixed". 

Message 2 of 3
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

Re: better to pay off auto loan or leave a small balance for the remaining of the loan term?

Thanks!  I may just refinance the small balance just to have an extra installment TL on there.  

Discover IT $19,000 == 12/2013
AMEX 12/2013 ---BCP $12,000 === BC $23,000 ----- 04/2014
CHASE SLATE $5,700 === 12/2013
BoA 123 $6000 === 12/2013
Barclay Rewards $1500 == 12/2013
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.